What happens after the editing is done?

Hi everybody,
thanks for making this forum a big contribute to independent films and film productions.
Here some questions regarding the steps after the final cut, for a young filmmaker.
I finally finished my first feature, shot in HDV.
The movie after two years of hard work is still in the hard drive, ready to be
adjusted by a professional color correction (once I will get some founds for this).

This is a series of pretty simple and basic questions, but definitely important for any
filmmaker that started an independent projects without the help of any institution.

- Do I have to be represented by a production or distribution company to send the feature to big film festivals?

- if yes, or if it is better to have a representation, how can I open a temporary small independent prod company?
I know it is a heavy question, but can you point me in the right direction with a link to previous discussions?

- Does the DVD copy need to be fancy (I mean with graphics and professional finishes) to be sent to a festival selection?

Thanks by now!

m

Thanks for the

well from what i know you dont need a distributor or representation to get into big film festivals, hell the festivals are where a fair few people find representation and distributors, best example is robert rodriguez with his film el mariachi ( ledgendary on indie film scene, made for only $7000) it made it into sundance and then (someone correct me if im mistaken) he got a 2 picture deal from columbia pictures.

as for your other questions, i really dont no, sorry i cant help ya out with the rest.

but i would assume, and im jus assuming, that judging panels would look at how good the film is, and not the graphics or dvd box.

hope that helps

No and no.

You can submit to any festival you can afford to submit to as long as you meet their requirements.
The DVD needs to have the title, running time and your contact info on it.

That's it!

Back