• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What gives you inspiration to write?

I really don't believe writing is a business. It's art. It's worth to die in order to write a good script or, generally, make a good art, almost like Heath Ledger did. It's really disgusting to see scriptwriters carring only about how they'll get paid.

What is your inspiration to write really intensive, emotional or violent scenes? Mine are metal music and too much alcohol.

Today morning, I was drunk and heard to this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u0hD6drLq4

I saw it says about a girlfriend and a piano. So I didn't and I don't wanna hear anything else from the lyrics. What I wanted to think is that it says about a man killing his beloved girlfriend while she plays the piano and he just describes the scene, singing. Of course, the song is not about that, but I didn't know it since it's in german and I refused to read the other lyrics. So I wanted to think this and it gave me inspiration to write seven pages with really small font size.

Last edited:
How to die for your art? Drug abuse to give you inspiration. I have alcohol.

What a hugely juvenile way of being superior.

Judging by the way you talk about these things (not to mention your grammar) I reckon you're pretty young, and that by 'having a family' you mean that you live at home with your parents. There's nothing wrong with that, but what you've said to Rik and 2001 is such a tired, rehashed and immature world view that any working professionals in the film business will laugh and pity you.

Good luck with your art.

If you die due to alcohol (or drug) complications you are not dying for
your "art". But if saying that makes you feel better about yourself,
allows you to look down on others, adds fuel to your hate and makes
you feel like an "artist" them I'm all for it.

Nick is spot on. But someday you will either change your elitist view
of this business and earn your living as a writer; continue suffering for
your art and hating those who do not; or, just maybe, die. I sincerely
hope you discover the first option.

bla bla bla there's nothing wrong with being a bit immature, in fact it's an essential requirement for a balanced writing life.

I wish I still had summa dat immaturity.

I miss it.

It's ..... anarchy.

And anarchy is the seat of creativity, so ponder to your hearts content.

What motivates me, ultimately, is money. I am not interested in making "art", I want to produce films that people will pay to see and get paid for doing so. I have movies that play inside of my head and I want them to get out so that others may see them, but I still want a paycheck for my troubles.

What motivates me? One day I will rule the movie world I will be a household name, I will tell stories that inspire, make you cry, perplex you and leave you saying yep very 8salacious9

In 3 years time il be working in some kind of movie studio, if I don't, then I have failed myself however I have not failed in my goals so far and this is the biggest fire in the belly of them all

Also I want my kids to go school and be like oh yeah that's my dad... Pretty cool huh

My biggest inspiration, hands down, is my mother as strange and absurd as that sounds. She brought me so much grief and anguish with her drug addiction and reckless actions, I've grown accustomed to failure and disappointment; distrust and selfishness. For a long time, that was an everyday part of my life, even at a young age. That combined with the vagabond lifestyle, compelled me to escape reality by writing all the time. Whenever I was down or out, I'd conjure up a story so that I could process and understand what was going on around me. It was my way of coping with all the bullshit in my life.

My second inspiration is non-fiction. Not fiction. Fiction is nice for entertainment's sake, but to really familiarize yourself with the human condition and what motivates us to do certain things, you have to immerse yourself in academics. If I'm not writing, shooting films, or doing photography, I'm studying my ass off.

My biggest inspiration, hands down, is my mother as strange and absurd as that sounds. She brought me so much grief and anguish with her drug addiction and reckless actions, I've grown accustomed to failure and disappointment; distrust and selfishness. For a long time, that was an everyday part of my life, even at a young age. That combined with the vagabond lifestyle, compelled me to escape reality by writing all the time. Whenever I was down or out, I'd conjure up a story so that I could process and understand what was going on around me. It was my way of coping with all the bullshit in my life.

My second inspiration is non-fiction. Not fiction. Fiction is nice for entertainment's sake, but to really familiarize yourself with the human condition and what motivates us to do certain things, you have to immerse yourself in academics. If I'm not writing, shooting films, or doing photography, I'm studying my ass off.

Speaking of drugs. Well, the last few days I stopped alcohol because I developed too much tolerance in it and, I think, after the withdrawal symptoms stopped (with medical help), their memory actually inspired me and I wrote the most clever scene I've ever written. I don't know if it was the withdrawal that helped me or the fact that I was sober after a very long time. Most bad experiences are inspiring. The last time I wrote such a clever scene, was when I was writing in the hospital, after I was beaten up. Such experiences can produce hate and knowledge of the world and yourself. That's why they can work as inspirations most of the times. Another good experience that inspired me was hypocrisy. If you beat someone, you are bad. If you find a way to destroy his life with totally legal ways, you are not that bad. Whoever isn't physically aggressive, uses such ways to show his underlying aggression. Isn't it inspiring? Once, a satanist poet told me his biggest inspiration was his disease: Cancer. Unfortunately, he didn't live long enough to end or publish his work. I could talk all night about what bad experiences could be inspiring and how...

There was also a comment about my language. Hey... ever thought that english might not be my mother tongue?

Life inspires me. If I take a walk or a car ride I always notice something that would stick out and go together like a good sequence in a film. Music also inspires me like a specific song would work in a scene in my head.

Quite seriously, writing my sequel, production photos of my last film in front of me and the stunt dummies sitting on either side of me for a 3D effect of realism as I imagine the characters in the new story. I also have props from the production nearly for more inspiration.

Myself. My life. Everything that happens around me and what I see. With every story I've thought of, I try and get the viewers to understand it from another person perspective. It might be mine or something that I've see or heard about.

Thanks,

Johnny McCaffery

Last edited by a moderator:
A great joke I come up with inspires me to write it down, then my hand magically creates new words and new jokes that stem from that... then dramatic moments somehow can connect and my scenes can slowly develop into this fully fledged creation that I can't believe I had any involvement in

What confuses me is, what does all of this have to do with you? Why are you worried about how everyone else feels and what everyone else is doing?

I don't know. I think its kind of interesting to study the patterns you pick up from gauging others on why they make films. When you do this, you begin to understand the essence of films and why they exist to begin with.

Gas, Pain, Beer, Pleasure, Tragedy, Orgasm, Sunshine, the Moon, the chick I saw in front of Grauman's yesterday, my f-ing $%#^! of an ex-wife, my kids, the news, my broken leg, everything else and stupid questions, too!

O:lol:r maybe it's just mental illness!

Back