What Essential Gear Should I Purchase ($650 Budget)

I'm a beginning indie film maker and I'm trying to find more gear that will help.
I have a sony hdr-fx1000 and a rode videomic / rode boom.

My budget is $650, what should I purchase?

The Oktava MK-012 cardioid condenser mic goes for about $250. It will greatly reduce that "roomy" sound when shooting indoors. The juicedLink CX231 ($300) will give you a lot more audio control and provide the phantom power for the Oktava. Spend the rest on headphones - Sony MDR-7506 (>$100).

The Oktava MK-012 cardioid condenser mic goes for about $250. It will greatly reduce that "roomy" sound when shooting indoors. The juicedLink CX231 ($300) will give you a lot more audio control and provide the phantom power for the Oktava. Spend the rest on headphones - Sony MDR-7506 (>$100).

I shoot a lot of my skits, shorts, and (soon to be) films outdoors (city area). Would a Rode NTG-2 w/ a BeachTek XLR adapter be a better exchange?

I also see a variety of BeachTeks on Amazon.
BeachTek DX-A2T - Tough Version
BeachTek DXA-6A - For the Sony FX7, FX1
BeackTek DXA4P - For the Canon GL1, XM1, Optura, Panasonic EZ41, AG456

Does it really matter which version I purchase? Is it not just a universal 3.5mm jack?

I shoot a lot of my skits, shorts, and (soon to be) films outdoors (city area).

Are you saying you don't need lights?

If you don't need recommendations for lighting, what type of
essential gear recommendations are you looking for? A better
mic? Grip equipment? Camera equipment?

The minimum essential gear I would suggest having on hand is:
a tripod
4 lights with stands
2 china balls
8 extension cords
6 power strips
black wrap and gels
2 bounce boards
a good external mic
a boom with extension cables
gaffers tape
a bunch of C-47’s - also called “bullets” or wood cloths pins
a coffee maker
a slate with marker

I was speaking in regards of the recommended Microphone, Oktava MK-012, that Alcove mentioned, which s/he said it was good for indoor purposes.

What lighting would be atequate? Soft boxes?

Sorry, I am a complete noob. :)

Is it not just a universal 3.5mm jack?
Yup, minipin is minipin. The differences are in the details.

BeachTek DX-A2T - Tough Version

Does not supply phantom power. The only Beachtek that supplies phantom power is the DXA-6A.

Does it really matter which version I purchase?
BeachTek DXA-6A - For the Sony FX7, FX1
BeackTek DXA4P - For the Canon GL1, XM1, Optura, Panasonic EZ41, AG456

The only difference as far as I know are where the fittings for the camera are located on the top of the case.

Although it's more expensive I always recommend mixers that supply phantom power; not all mics (like the Oktava) are powered by an internal battery.

Yup, minipin is minipin. The differences are in the details.

Does not supply phantom power. The only Beachtek that supplies phantom power is the DXA-6A.

The only difference as far as I know are where the fittings for the camera are located on the top of the case.

Although it's more expensive I always recommend mixers that supply phantom power; not all mics (like the Oktava) are powered by an internal battery.

The Rode NTG-2 has an internal battery inside of it. So the DXA-4 ( http://www.amazon.com/BeachTek-DXA-4-Dual-XLR-Adapter/dp/B000OVMC4W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271355102&sr=8-2 ) would be atequate for my setup?

As the number one hater of handheld on the forum I'll second tripod. A high quality fluid head one.

I just completed my second film and there is not one second of handheld in either of them.

Last edited:

a tripod
4 lights with stands
2 china balls
8 extension cords
6 power strips
black wrap and gels
2 bounce boards
a good external mic
gaffers tape
a coffee maker
a slate with marker

You rock Rik. I second this list. Of course, this is more than $650...for a boom alone you can spend upwards $500...and that's for a decent one.

+10000000 on the Tripod.

You can get a servicable one for under 100 dollars, and it makes things look so much more professional.

All the other suggestions are great(though I don't drink coffee-soda is my source of caffeine) :)

For lighting on a budget, table lamps and daylight bulbs work nicely!

The Rode NTG-2 has an internal battery inside of it. So the DXA-4 would be adequate for my setup?

Yes, it would work, but what happens when you get a mic that does not supply it's own phantom power? Most do not.

When I purchase gear I am always thinking towards the future. In this particular instance spending the extra $130 will save either having to replace the DXA-4 or purchasing a phantom power supply when you add other mics to your collection.

So a little math - if you do have to replace the DXA-4 you will be lucky you get $40 for it and then spend the full $280 (or more) on the DXA-6. So you spent $150 and got $40 back; net expense $110. You then spend an additional $280 on the DXA-6, plus the $110 you already expended. That's $390!!!

Even if you elect to buy a phantom power supply (anywhere from $50 to $150) you now have an additional piece of gear to connect, the cable(s) for the connection and another battery to replace every day. So you have to find somewhere on your tripod to put the phantom power supply, another cable that can break or pick up RF, and the continueing expense of the batteries. The convenience factor alone would compel me towards the DXA-6.

Yeah, I know, I'm being grumpy old Uncle Bob again. But I have been through it all before. I make choices based upon my future needs, reliability and upgradability, not just what I need right now (unless it's an emergency, and there's usually a plan B already in place). So think it through.

Uncle Bob jumps off his soap box. THUMP!

a tripod
4 lights with stands
2 china balls
8 extension cords
6 power strips
black wrap and gels
2 bounce boards
a good external mic
gaffers tape
a coffee maker
a slate with marker

Thank you very much for this, I didn't really know what I needed. This is a big help in pointing me in the right direction :)

Love,
Ziggy

A couple of little things:

Extra batteries and charger and a tape rewinder. You don't want to be rewinding your tapes on your camera if you don't have to. Anything to protect the heads on it. They are relatively cheap.

-- spinner :cool:

Back