• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What does it look like is going on here?

What kind of effects or processes does it look like are going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1N_qX_r4Iw

I love the nightmarish freak out look and ever changing style, but there seems
to be so much going on presumably between film, video and lighting that I can’t
make heads or tails of it.

I want to call it 60’s psychedelic style, but maybe more as I might find it done at
times in the 70’s, yet it seems more experimentally aggressive than what I have
seen or recall from that time.

I don’t know how to label it, or how it's produced, but it sure makes me want to just
go nuts with some 16mm.

-Thanks-

The video features footage of the band performing the song live in a forest setting. It was shot outside San Francisco entirely on Super8 film at a very modest budget. The director, Kevin Kerslake, employed various destructive techniques when developing the film to give the video a broken and dirty look. Corgan was reportedly extremely unhappy with the shooting experience, and the band never worked with Kerslake again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherub_Rock

Corgan probably would have been alot happier if they had made this video in era of After Effects. I thought it was an awesome video though. you've got good taste in music buddy.

Wow thanks Goob.

It makes a little more sense being super 8, but man it's still all over the road in freakout.

(Now I want to go twice as crazy with some S8... No, I still want to go nuts with 16mm :D)

-Thanks-

Yeah I can imagine just going mental and shifting the color in AE, but there seems to be some method to the madness in the video (I think, but maybe not).

I can’t tell what is blue post filters and what is blue lighting or what.

I like when the forest is yellow/green/blue'ish, it’s like a nightmare of The Wizard of Oz.

-Thanks-

They appear to have been lit by a projector in a lot of places. You need a flickering source footage projected with a bright projector, and lots of texture (lie the trees) to catch the projection. It's a good idea that can work well if done right (as in you mask what you're actually doing so people wonder how they pulled it off).

Blurriness, quick cuts, shallow dof, limited view all help.

I had a chance to ask the director Kevin Kerslake about making the Cherub Rock video, he told me that outside of the experimental nature of the film processing, it was a no frills game, no projections whatsoever, just a matter of how they lit the forest. Half Ektachrome - Half Kodachrome Super 8 was used.

-Thanks-

Back