• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What do you use to edit?

I was surprised not to find a thread like this, and there probably is one, but one that I couln't find so, sorry if im breaking a rule. :)
So what do you use to edit?
I personally use the Adobe Production Premium, CS5.5.
How bout' you?

VideoPad & FreeAudioEditor freeware
(Because I'm a cheeeeeap bastard!)

Someday I'll grow up and part with a few bucks to get something a little more sofistykaydead.

Until then, as long as I'm just putting bitNpieces together, monkying with audio & layering tracks, am content with juvi text, and a few other weenie things... I'm good.

I would like something that allows me to chromakey & layer, though.

Edit in Final Cut Pro 6 (though now dabbling in Premiere Pro CS5), audio mixing in Soundtrack Pro 2, compositing in After Effects CS5, and DVD authoring in DVD Studio Pro 4.

16mmflatbed.jpg

Oh yeah!

I currently use Edius 6 by Grass Valley.

Hadn't really heard of it until rather recently, so I was a bit skeptical. Tried the demo, and was sold.

I've used Premiere, Vegas, etc... so there really wasn't much of a learning curve; the interface is intuitive.

Biggest selling point for me... it's rock-solid and reliable. No need to render intermediate/proxy files, as I was doing in other NLEs. My native Canon 7D (H.264/MOV) files play back smooth, and the thing just doesn't crash.

There are some things I still do in After Effects, but I'm gradually adapting my color grading workflow to Edius.

Ha! An MC-50mkII! I had one of those! At the time I found I was playing more live than I was sequencing, so I got rid of it.

I'm using Sonar 8.5 (need to upgrade to the new version) and Wavelab these days. I used to use Cubase, but I like MIDI editing in Sonar much better (also better video integration which is, of course, necessary for scoring).

And my first rig was playing into a tape deck, and then cranking it through a stereo as I played another track on top of it. As lo-fi as it gets!

I use Avid, FCP, and Premiere CS5 and its funny that even though all my education was on Avid and FCP with in 2 seconds of using Premiere it became my favorite editing program. It really is a nice editing programs that needs more respect.

Ha! An MC-50mkII! I had one of those! At the time I found I was playing more live than I was sequencing, so I got rid of it.

The Roland was synched to the TRS-8 via SMPTE, but I would also use the internal sequencer on the keyboards and drum machines as well to increase track count. I tended to play "live" MIDI tracks as well.

And my first rig was playing into a tape deck, and then cranking it through a stereo as I played another track on top of it. As lo-fi as it gets!

Yup, I would bounce between two cassette decks to create multiple tracks. I would have to alternate them as play/record decks to keep the pitch from changing. I even put a keyboard on the floor so tapping the keys with my foot would trigger a third sound for each pass.

Back