• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch What do you think of my logo?

I made this in Motion 5 and Final Cut Pro X. It was a pretty easy process to animate everything, but a tricky process to do all the sound work!

Watch in HD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Luwy3nlZw

What do you guys think of it? Its goal was to look a bit retro (particularly like something from the '80s), and I think I achieved that!

Anyway, please let me know what you think! I'm open to suggestions for improvements!

It's okay, especially if you acknowledge there's no sound in space.

Otherwise - Fine. A fine animated prodco logo. :)

Is the type supposed to jiggle just a little bit?
Even at 1080 the rez seems surprisingly fuzzy. Can the detail be sharpened up considerably, or is that how you want it?
Is the type composed on the same layer as the background? Note how the type seems to slightly distort the background as the background moves behind it, sorta like a lens effect.

It's okay, especially if you acknowledge there's no sound in space.

Otherwise - Fine. A fine animated prodco logo. :)

Is the type supposed to jiggle just a little bit?
Even at 1080 the rez seems surprisingly fuzzy. Can the detail be sharpened up considerably, or is that how you want it?
Is the type composed on the same layer as the background? Note how the type seems to slightly distort the background as the background moves behind it, sorta like a lens effect.

Thanks!

YouTube compressed the video heavily - it looks MUCH smoother on my computer screen. Yes, the text is supposed to jiggle a tiny bit, but the compression made it look a bit worse than it actually is!

The text is on its own layer, so any distortion would again be from YouTube. I'm beginning to not be happy with them, they keep messing up my videos! :P

As for the no sound in space, well, that's a good point that I hadn't really thought of. :P Perhaps I'll replace it with music at some point!

the blue could still work.. maybe if you changed it to a slow fade in/out instead of blinking

See, I wasn't sure about the flashing blue either, honestly! I only did that to add a bit more movement to the logo.

Then I realized I could do away with it entirely, add more to the background, add some text effects, and the result is below! It also has MUCH better sound effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOYaaqkGRU

Fun fact (that's not so much fun, really), Motion kept inexplicably crashing as I added a keyframe in a certain frame... it crashed no less than 16 times in less than 10 minutes! :grumpy:

However, it is quite a capable app... I just wish it would actually work when I want it to!

Let me know what you guys think of this one! Thanks so much for the input already! :)

better but i didn't like how the words disappeared

The fade out was strangely the only way I could get Motion to export the project without crashing. I don't mind it, but if I had had my way everything would've faded out together like I originally intended! :lol:

EDIT: Will, very good point. I think I will try to fix it again tomorrow... we'll see if Motion will play nicely then! If it doesn't, it's getting a very stern talking-to!

Last edited:
On my NLE too much crazy stuff bogs it down, so I build elements to the final project, save them as videos, then compose individual video elements into a final.
Kinda like car assembly where you don't just begin with a chassis and start attaching every nut, bolt, gasket, and fender as it rolls down the track.

You install pre-assembled whole parts together.

Don't build the whole thing all at once.

Try assembling the background - then save as "ProdCo Logo Background".
Begin a new project titled "ProdCo Logo Final", import "ProdCo Logo Background", arrange in back layer, then place text in front layer. Save.

Should be considerably less for your puter & program to think about = fewer glitches.

elephant2.jpg

Last edited:
Not to be harsh or anything, but I think there's still a lot to improve to make it come across more professional. First of all, cut down the length. Nobody likes lengthy logo's, they want to go into the movie. 20 Seconds for a logo is way too long, I'd suggest something between 5 and 10 seconds. A few of those 20-second logo's easily turn into minutes of film that people will just skip through. If you keep it short people may actually watch it.

Second, why the cyan frame around the whole thing? It makes no sense and it's distracting.
Third, colours. I can see this work with some very flashy sci-fi movie, but for anything else i'd tone down the colours a bit, even without the flashy blue, the aesthetic is still flashy blue.
Fourth, the changes in distance between the letters are annoying. Just scale the whole thing up and down if you have to. This comes off as trying too hard and it's distracting.

Personally, I'd change the movement of the text alltogether. What I'd do:
-Keep the "3424 productions" text centered, but smaller. Then maybe scale it up a little bit as a whole if you insist on the movement.
- Reduce the font size of "a motion picture company" so that it comfortably fits on one heigth. Then fade it in and out without any movement. Or some scaling if you insist.
- slow down all the movements in the background. Little movement is nice, so that people don't think it's a still, but movement this fast is distracting from the logo.

Lastly, ask yourself. Why are you spending so much time on this? A black screen with the name and text fading in and out is a perfect minimum viable product. If you want to make movies, make movies.

Good luck!

So Motion worked without any problems this morning. Maybe I was just too tired to work on it last night and it knew it. :P

I took some of the suggestions to heart (except for Santhem's, didn't see them until now!), and I think this is a lot closer to what I would deem "done".

EDIT: Video accidentally deleted! Go here to see the new one!

And Santhem, I'll explain my thought process behind the whole thing for you!

Firstly, 15-20 seconds IS an acceptable amount of time for a logo. Think of the Paramount, THX, and Universal Studios - they're all at least 15 seconds, and incredibly recognizable. My logo is literally just 14 seconds long - YouTube likes to add at least an extra second at the ends of videos sometimes.

Secondly, the cyan frame around everything was just something for flair - I made a lot more use of it in this next revision, as I'm sure you've seen!

The text is moving that way because if I didn't move it, you'd hardly be able to see it because of the colors swirling in the background. Adding the scaling really helped to make it stand out from the background. I suppose it could be better, though!

I do agree the movement in the background is a bit fast, so that'll be the thing I change next. The movement is, after all, part of the logo, so it should be perfect!

And I'm spending a lot of time on this because I want my future videos to be very recognizable. If that means spending several days on the logo perfecting it, then so be it! :lol:

Last edited:
Compared to something like Jerry Bruckheimer's intro, your background motion is crawling at a snails pace.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u066e7aTvP4

Haha, good point! :lol:

Anyway, I accidentally deleted the previous video when I tried to upload the version with the final sound mix - it is A LOT better than I thought I could possibly make it. It consists of about 6 different sound effects, custom music made in GarageBand, and various filters inside of FCP X were applied to get the twinkle noises. All in all, about 24 tracks of audio - and it's mixed in 5.1 surround sound, of course! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YSf6acNHjk

I think I may call it good!

Far too long- don't compare your logo to those of the major studios which are attached to 2 hour long films that have cost $100million+, compare it to those you see at the beginning of other indie shorts o features.

Most shorts don't have a logo, those that do have one that is 3-5 seconds long. That's about standard for features too. I don't need 17 seconds to read the name of your production company, which, after all, is the point of having a logo before a film.

Far too long- don't compare your logo to those of the major studios which are attached to 2 hour long films that have cost $100million+, compare it to those you see at the beginning of other indie shorts o features.

Most shorts don't have a logo, those that do have one that is 3-5 seconds long. That's about standard for features too. I don't need 17 seconds to read the name of your production company, which, after all, is the point of having a logo before a film.

It is a bit long. I cut it down to 11 seconds now, 12 including fade in/fade out time. I think that's a lot more reasonable! :)

I was only comparing it to major studios originally to make the point that logos can in fact be a bit longer than 5-10 seconds, and DEFINITELY longer than 3-5 (that is not long enough to make an impression the first time, and certainly not enough time to read any of the text!).

I'll upload the final, FINAL version on my Vimeo account tonight, and be sure to post the link here for everybody to see. I'd post it on YouTube but I'm quite convinced they screw up the audio, as when I watched the video I posted earlier it sounded all muffled - not at all how it sounds on my computer. :hmm: So yes, Vimeo will be it!

Back