What do you think of Avatar?

I liked it, but my sister thought it was horrible. I don't think it's as great as some have made it out to be. Like the Oscars for a best picture contender. But a pretty good sci fi adventure.

My sis says that the positive in the climax is all wrong for a movie of such harsh subject matter. The aliens are cheering a lot when fighting back, and are very positively spirited about it. Like it's a football game or something.

She said the movie would have been better, if they did the whole action climax, like that of the climax too United 93. Just make the fight as dark as possible with a fight for your lives, with no positiveness in it. Instead of cheering, they should be screaming and crying the whole fight. I thought about this and agreed with her, that that would have made for a better movie, but still thought it was pretty good for what it was, and that the climax's tone, did not bring it far enough down to ruin it. What do you think?

I hated it. It's soooo booooooooorrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnggggggg! Best part of the movie is when it ended.
Oh, you big fibber!
You think it's better than a big plate of syrup on buttered blueberry pancakes!

The ending was perfect for making baby Avatars II & III coming your way: http://us.myspace.com/whats-hot/201...vatar-2-and-3-says-avatar-4-will-be-a-prequel

Having a Pyrrhic victory ending woulda been too much of a downer. Only small personal losses allowed - and with hope: Dr. Grace Augustine's death and integration via the Tree of Souls.

Gotta plan ahead.

I don't like blueberries, Ray. And they're gonna make sequels?! Blech!

The only reason anybody likes this movie is because that chick from Columbiana is hawt.

I thought it was ok; it certainly wasn't a bad movie, but it isn't something that leaves an impression in me. What can you really expect from mass-media flicks?

My biggest problem with the movie is that you could literally take the entire plot from Pocahantas, put it in a sci-fi setting... and BAM, avatar. It is just too obvious.

EDIT: ha ha, looks like musson beat me to it.

smurfs in space was ok... good entertainment...

story wise, it was like they said, how can we hit the broadest spectrum of audience, and used only really standard storyline concepts. Stuff we have all seen before in abundance.

So for me, it was no ground breaker in anything except 3d....

It was a technological and visual wonder. It pushed the technological barrier, high production values, lots and lots, and lots of money shots. It was a great example of how spectacular a 3d movie can look like.

From a story writing/story/character perspective, it felt like James went backwards. It's not like the story was bad, it just wasn't as good as I had come to expect from him.

I really enjoyed it the first time around. Second, third and fourth time around, not as much. Then again, I watched it first in 3d and then 2d thereafter.

You wanted Avatar to be tonally similar to United 93???

You thought a whole family sci-fi adventure should've mirrored the darkness of a movie about the September 11th attacks???

Sometimes the way your mind works can still astonish me.

Avatar is fun. The cliches are, I feel, intentional. Give people something familar to hold on to while you push into the unfamiliar (new gen 3d tech). It's aware of itself...hell, it calls the mineral UNOBTAINIUM. Short of the mining operation being run by Science Officer MacGuffin, it's hard to get more self-aware. The tone of the ending fit the tone of the rest of the movie...we're supposed to think Jake is the hero of this, so his actions should be heroic. The aliens cheer because their cause is one worth cheering for. Having a dark, gritty ending wouldn't have fit. Might be a movie you and your sister would have liked better, but not the movie Cameron set out to make.

Even if you didn't like it, you can't argue with the box office results...lots of people DID like it. Quality and taste are different things, but I feel that it does what it set out to do very well. Well made film, if not a particularly deep film.

I thought it was boring also. It was such a familiar story in the world of sci-fi that it just didn't come off as anything special.

I thought Prometheus was pedestrian at best also (when it wasn't being downright silly), but gotta give it to the guy for selling the sizzle not the steak in finest exploitation tradition.

Yesterday I actually discovered that I have my very own Sahelu. I started hooking my self up to random objects, like walls, cars, dish washer, coffee maker.. And yes i do get the experience of contacting my accessors from thousand moons ago.
So, yea! Eywa ngahu,biitches, I gotta go roll one up (Wahsington - legal reefers) and chat with my great great great grand mama.

You wanted Avatar to be tonally similar to United 93???

You thought a whole family sci-fi adventure should've mirrored the darkness of a movie about the September 11th attacks???

Sometimes the way your mind works can still astonish me.

Well fighting for your lives is quite dark and in United 93, none of the passengers had a positive uplifted spirit about the situation. So if a few dozen people cannot find much pep and cheering, and in fighting for their lives, how we can we expect a whole race on another planet to? They just tried to make fighting for your lives seem like more fun than it actually is.

As far as ripping off Pocohantas goes, I think people pick on this too much, when they don't mind other movies copying each other. The Lion King kind of borrows off of Hamlet, and King Kong, kind of borrowed from Beauty and the Beast, etc.

Yesterday I actually discovered that I have my very own Sahelu. I started hooking my self up to random objects, like walls, cars, dish washer, coffee maker.. And yes i do get the experience of contacting my accessors from thousand moons ago.
So, yea! Eywa ngahu,biitches, I gotta go roll one up (Wahsington - legal reefers) and chat with my great great great grand mama.

:lol::lol::lol:!!!!!

Back