• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What do people want to read next?

I'm off to Croatia for a week, so I'll start this discussion now and pick it up when I come back.

We're reading "Bringing Out the Dead" right now, and I was thinking that something mainstream, high concept and a script that would sell even if a newbie wrote it, might be a good idea.

How about a classic - "Leathal weapon" or "Jaws" I don't know. Over to you guys.

I've not read that, sounds like a plan.

We'll give Bringing out the dead another week, as I know that some the guys are still reading it, then "A long Kiss Goodnight" it is.

I'll download it now.

Personally, I would like to read a dialogue-heavy comedy, something like Fletch or High Fidelity. I'm always looking for ways to touch up my dialogue.

Last edited:
Up for anything...

clive said:
I'll add them to the list. High Fidelity is one of my favourite films!
At this point, I'm up to read anything but I'm partial to older screenplays like:

NORTH BY NORTHWEST
REAR WINDOW
THE LONG HOT SUMMER

There's just something about the visuals that I really love... Somehow, the screenplays seemed more free... More organic. In fact, BRINGING OUT THE DEAD kind of reminded me of some of the older screenplays so I'm really glad I read it...

LOL. I just finished reading JAWS about a month ago... 3 times and actually made a few pages of notes on it because of my recent screenplay being a horror/thriller...

GREAT SCREENPLAY by the way...

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL... Just finished it...

clive said:
I've got Rear Window sitting on my desktop, that was what I was going to read for myself next! :lol:
Too funny... I just finished reading it a week and a half ago... The first 10 pages are so well written... I mean, so is the rest but the first 10 pages of visuals is so well done.

I re-read REAR WINDOW a few times a year...

filmy

CoryP said:
Personally, I would like to read a dialogue-heavy comedy, something like Fletch or High Fidelity. I'm always looking for ways to touch up my dialogue.

Perhaps Annie Hall?

Quite a funny movie and very dialogue-based.

Would also be interesting because, while almost every line is a joke, the movie has a very serious quality/structure to it, and isn't a "jokey" story as many comedies are, which I imagine could get annoying in a screenplay.

Anyway, count me in!
Good idea, clive.

I might not be able to jump into this anytime soon, but may I suggest "Flatliners"?

Just saw the movie for the first time today, and it piqued my interest- would be interesting to discuss the script VS the film...

Hi guys

I'm back from Croatia. it was fab, but somehow I ended up singing on Croatian TV. Long complicated story.

Anyhow, I'm writing all the titles on pieces of paper and tonight (UK time) I'll draw out the next script for us to read from the list of suggestions that you've provided. Like the lottery only more intellectual.

I'll then open a new thread for that discussion.

If anyone still has any thoughts about Bringing out the Dead, that thread is still there.

Speak to you all soon.

PS - Keep making sugesstions as they occur and I'll put them into the lottery each time we need a new script. I'd also like to do two Christmas films in December and would like some ideas for that.

I'll kick off with "It's a Wonderful Life"

Last edited:
Back