What do I need??

I'm looking into buying a shotgun mic for my couple of camcorders in desperate hopes of improving sound quality. I have had my eyes on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gradient-Compact-Shotgun-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0002TTN3Y

Is this a good choice for the price? Will it improve my sound quality by $257? Also what do I need to buy in addition to the mic (male/female cords)? Is it necessary to buy something like a BeachTek adapter or could I just go with a simple XLR adapter?

Any advice is appreciated.e

I don't have any personal experience with that mic.

The further away the mic is from the actors, the higher the volume
needs to be. The higher the volume, the more “noise” you get. Your
goal is to have a very high signal to noise ratio - more signal (the
dialogue) less noise (the background). Even a very good, expensive
Sennheiser mounted on the camera will pick up a lot of background
ambiance because it’s far away from the actors.

So to improve your audio quality you want the mic as close to the
actors as you can get it. You will need a boom pole. This can be as
simple as a painters pole with a microphone shock mount on it - or
a 3 or 4 section, expandable Carbon Fiber, Graphite Fiber or Aluminum
boom pole. The lighter the pole the better. Expandable is also very
convenient. A pole that’s a fixed six or eight feet (painters pole) can
pose problems if you’re shooting in a small space like a bathroom or
small apartment or if the boom operator needs to be twelve to fifteen
feet away to be out the the lights.

The ad doesn't even say which Audio Technica mic it is, there are a few in that price range. The picture looks like the AT897, which can be had for about $230 on other sites.

The further away the mic is from the actors, the higher the volume needs to be. The higher the volume, the more “noise” you get. Your goal is to have a very high signal to noise ratio - more signal (the dialogue) less noise (the background).
What directorik is referring to is the Inverse Square Law. In simple terms, this means that a sound twice as far away is only one-fourth as loud. A sound four times as far away is only one-sixteenth as loud. So a human voice that records with adequate volume three feet away is just one-sixteenth as loud at twelve feet. This will force you to increase the gain on the audio recording device thereby increasing the recorded level of the self noise of the mic. Yes, mics create their own noise and, generally, the cheaper the mic the more self noise it generates. This is especially true with cameras; their focus - pardon the pun - is to capture a great picture, so the audio components, even in expensive cameras, get short shrift. They have noisy pre-amps and minimal audio implementation.

Even a very good, expensive Sennheiser mounted on the camera will pick up a lot of background ambiance because it’s far away from the actors.
The way the mic is handled is just as - or even more - important as the mic itself. Shotgun mics have terrific off-axis rejection (or are supposed to). First example; if you want to shoot the actors face you don't put him/her in profile, the camera can't "see around corners;" a mic can't either. Second example; you are 20 feet away from the actor and are using a zoom lens to focus on his/her mouth. If you pan the camera two inches to the left you are now shooting the tree over his/her left shoulder. A shotgun mic works the same way. If you are off by just a little bit you are recording the traffic behind the actor rather than the dialog. Yeah, you will hear the dialog, but the ambient sound will be louder than it should be.

So to improve your audio quality you want the mic as close to the actors as you can get it. You will need a boom pole.
Believe it or not, the boom-op has one of the hardest jobs on the set. S/he has to aim a mic at the end of a long boom pole directly at the actors mouths, has to noiselessly switch aim from actor to actor and noiselessly follow them around the set while keeping the boom out of the shot and prevent it from casting shadows. Sound like something you want a random inexperienced PA doing?

One more thing - a shotgun mic is not always the best choice for shooting indoors. Because of a shotgun mics off-axis rejection it only records what is in front of it. It picks up the dialog, but it also picks up all of the sound reflections bouncing off of the hard surfaces behind the talent. This is what causes the well known "roomy" sound prevalent in many indie projects. A non-shotgun cardioid condenser mic is preferable for indoor shoots.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Another question i had was what cords will i need to buy in addition to what comes with the mic if i'm planning on using a boom? (male or female, etc.)

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Another question i had was what cords will i need to buy in addition to what comes with the mic if i'm planning on using a boom? (male or female, etc.)

old fashioned XLR microphone cables you can pick them up at Guitar center or any music store.

Also you may consider RODE shotgun mics they are great for the Price$$
check out www.trewaudio.com all they deal in is audio for film and video. lots of info on the site. I've been dealing with them since 1998 and there service is great. You can call them and they can answer questions, John, Skyler, or any of those guys in sales (it's a small company) can help you with information. No I don't work there I've just been treated right as a customer for a long time
good luck

You may want to check out this article about choosing a mic:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html

There are many options, Audio Technica and Rode are decent choices when you're on a budget.

old fashioned XLR microphone cables you can pick them up at Guitar center or any music store.
Get good quality cables. Cheap ones are more prone to RF interference and wear out much faster. Better quality cables are also much easier to fix on the set. In the long run you save money and avoid problems during your shoot.

One thing I would advise; buy all of your gear from one or two reputable audio/video vendors. It may cost a few extra bucks initially, but will save you lots in the long run. I use B&H for my production sound and video interfacing gear, and use Sweetwater for audio post gear. The reason for this is that you develop relationships with your vendor(s). They will have records of your purchases and can make intelligent recommendations about what to add to your kit. They can point out compatibility problems and once you have been a customer for a while you may get in on special deals. Being in the entertainment industry is about relationships, and this one is just as important. Just to give you an example; my studio was flooded in April '07. My iLok was lost somewhere along the line and with it thousands of dollars of software and plug-in authorizations. My contact at Sweetwater knew me as a good customer and was extremely helpful in helping me connect with the vendors and almost all of them - after I supplied them with insurance documents - gave me free re-authorizations. In return, he got all of my business when I re-built the studio; and he in turn put together a very nice package deal which saved me quite a bit of money.

A little off subject, but I'm interested. You say you had to show the vendors insurance documents after the flood. What kind of insurance do you carry? Yearly? I am a start-up Freelance Producer and looking for ways to shoot my projects without having to pay an arm and a leg for insurance. Any advice?

A little off subject, but I'm interested. You say you had to show the vendors insurance documents after the flood. What kind of insurance do you carry? Yearly? I am a start-up Freelance Producer and looking for ways to shoot my projects without having to pay an arm and a leg for insurance. Any advice?
My home - my studio is in the basement - is in a designated flood district, so had to get flood insurance in order to get my mortgage. I won't go into the details, but I also carry business limited liability insurance as I do have clients coming into my studio plus a few other types of coverage.

As far as insurance required by producers I am not very knowledgeable, but most productions with which I have been associated are individual LLCs created specifically for each project. In other words, producers create a new LLC for each project that they do. So "My Production Company" is the parent corporation for "My First Production, LLC", "My Second Production, LLC", etc. This way you shield the parent company and the other productions from liability in the event of litigation against one of the LLCs. You should really consult with an attorney and an accountant.

I listened to his sound tests and I can't tell much of a difference between any of the mic's I listened to. Especially not a 1600 or more difference between the high and low end.
You can hear the differences if you listen on pro quality audio speakers in a controlled audio environment. In many instances the differences are in the amount of self-noise generated by the mic and frequency response.

Back