• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

what about..a 2 second altered rule?

Hi, everyone, I recently completed my first cartoon, and my composer thought it would be hilarious to use a bit of a lady gaga song as the character's ringtone. it was funny indeed, but I don't know if it's acceptable in case I want to include the cartoon in a future dvd release. he did alter it a bit, but again, I'm not familiar with copyrights and music [it seems that the infamous "30 second rule" has been revealed to be a myth]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Nfpiyf9cw

[if you don't want to watch the entire cartoon, please just skip to 3:46 for the ringtone issue.]

well, please let me know if I need to go back to the editing room and replace it with a much more common ringtone.

thanks for reading and/or watching,

-Jared Kowis

This is very much a lawyer question. I don't know the law on that at all... I just avoid like the plague to prevent this stuff in my work... I was disqualified from the first Heinz commercial competition for one of my actors wearing a t-shirt with a logo on it that they didn't have rights to. I could have won (perhaps not), but for that one error in licensing violation on my part.

This is very much a lawyer question. I don't know the law on that at all... I just avoid like the plague to prevent this stuff in my work... I was disqualified from the first Heinz commercial competition for one of my actors wearing a t-shirt with a logo on it that they didn't have rights to. I could have won (perhaps not), but for that one error in licensing violation on my part.

yikes. yeah, I think I'm going to just re-edit that ringtone out. can't take the risk. thanks for replying.

Back