• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

WGAw Registration vs. Copyright Registration

I use WGA for Treatments but US Copyright for the finished Scripts. As your linked article shows the ultimate protection (and the one in which you can get monetary compensation) is the Copyright.

Once u actually write something down, it's protected. No need to spend the money.

Save the money for a lawyer IF your copyright is infringed.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sue-for-Copyright-Infringement

Well that is not very smart. Yes your work is copyrighted when you write it but it is NOT a registered copyright. If it is not registered you might be able to get a cease and desist on the copyright infringe but you will not get any monetary relief or damages. For the cost of the copyright. No question. A lot more protection and cheaper than hiring a lawyer after the fact.

Once u actually write something down, it's protected. No need to spend the money.

Save the money for a lawyer IF your copyright is infringed.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sue-for-Copyright-Infringement
Wow, that's pretty terrible advice.

My advice, register your script with the entity that gives you the most protection and is legally recognized: US Copyright Office.

Do a goggle, you'll find links to how to fill out their form for screenplay submissions.

Nope. It's all true.

Only way you can even prove infringement is if someone read your stuff and stole it... so you have a treatment or a script you email to a company... and that email is time stamped....

Now, if someone ever steals your idea, you CAN get monetary relief and damages by filing your copyright (and spending the money) AFTER the infringement happens.

Nope. It's all true.

Only way you can even prove infringement is if someone read your stuff and stole it... so you have a treatment or a script you email to a company... and that email is time stamped....

Now, if someone ever steals your idea, you CAN get monetary relief and damages by filing your copyright (and spending the money) AFTER the infringement happens.
Emails do not prove original ownership or copyright. Emails are typically frowned upon by the court as evidence - written and signed documents are regarded much higher.

It's much better to attest your copyright from the outset by using the US Copyright Office.

Do a google. There are quite a few articles by attorneys recommending this, not using the WGA or other means (that includes initially doing nothing) to prove copyright.

Emails do not prove original ownership or copyright. Emails are typically frowned upon by the court as evidence - written and signed documents are regarded much higher.

It's much better to attest your copyright from the outset by using the US Copyright Office.

Do a google. There are quite a few articles by attorneys recommending this, not using the WGA or other means (that includes initially doing nothing) to prove copyright.

Emails can prove that you sent a story to the person who stole it.

IF someone ever steals your story (and seriously 99% of the people worrying about this don't have a story to be worried about being stolen) you can still do the registration after the fact.

Ramen noodles are expensive and lawyers are scum.

How many actual cases of treatments or scripts being stolen exist? (and posting the Shia Labutt thing won't count)

Nope. It's all true.

You live in a major fantasy world buddy.

Ps... In the most recent and most famous case of plagarism / copyright infringement, Justin M. Damiano is NOT registered with the copyright office nor is the anthology it appears in.

And yes, Shia Labeouf is going to be sued for monetary damages.

http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment/movie-guide/LaBeouf+face+lawsuit/9309086/story.html
Yes but Damiano's work was published. If your script is stolen, how do you prove it was yours? You can't say, hey it was published in 2012 or whatever. It's an unmade screenplay. Now if it had been registered with the US Copyright office, that affirms your copyright and original authorship.

Do thefts like this happen much? No they don't.

Could it happen? Sure, it's a possibility. Unlikely but it's a possibility.

Should you insure against that possibility? I would, hence I follow most entertainment attorneys recommendation of registering my screenplays with the US Copyright Office.

You don't. I understand that. It's your call. Not what I would do but it's your life and your call.

Do I think your guidance on this is sound? I don't.

I'm not going to reply further to you on this. I agree with the recommendation of most entertainment attorneys on this. You obviously don't.

Last edited:
Back