We're Off! ...and other updates about me.

Hey everyone, just thought i'd let you know, VinnyD (less active indietalker) and I are going to the New York Film Academy, Florida Campus (oh, sweet irony). He's driving and I'm flying. My flight is at 7:30 am tomorrow morning. I'll be getting back late (near midnight) next Saturday. We will each (as well as the others there) be making a short non-dialogue film. They said to come with an idea on paper, I wrote a freakin' script, baby yeah.

Allllllllllllllso....BIG FREAKING NEWS! (maybe not to you but it is to me)

I'm getting my first decent video setup. I don't have the entire list with me, but a select few things are:

Panasonic 3CCD PV-GS65 Camcorder
Rode VideoMic w/foam windscreen & Built-in shockmount
Sony Studio Monitor headphones (ill be using those for both production & post-production)
Tiffen Filter Kit
Sony Vegas 6.0 w/Magic Bullet

and a bunch of other niceties!

I tested Magic Bullet out--holy freakin' crap! If you haven't tried it yet- you MUST! It's the absolute easiest, best filmlook solution I've ever found. A combo of Magic Bullet presets and some of Vegas's Subtle Film Grain (toned down just a bit), converted to 24p, aaand boom! Movie magic!

Last edited:
awesome dude. i wish i could fly down to do a film. i hate my life. :grumpy:

so, whats the film gonna be about? btw, my camera is the Panasonic PVGS35. not 3CCD though :( you got some nice toys to play with there. good luck with everyting. hope all goes well.

Fun stuff man :). Enjoy it all! Magic Bullet does have some very nice presets. The only downside is the amount of time it takes to render (it takes a while due to the quality high bit processing).

The only downside is the amount of time it takes to render (it takes a while due to the quality high bit processing).

Very true...Even when I have my Vegas monitor tuned to the Draft (Auto) setting, it can be choppy, and then yeah like you said- I rendered a simple 7-8 second clip with the Mexicali preset and rendered it as an MPEG-2.......sheesh...took a long time.

It doesn't help that I don't have a dedicated hard drive..and I won't be able to afford one anytime soon...however, I'm basically just gonna reformat completely and reinstall Vegas, Magic Bullet, and CeltX, and just keep it constantly defragg'd and clean and consolidated.

Well, I'm back. Vinny stayed in FL for awhile to visit with family. He flies back to NY next week, I think. I got back at 1:00 A.M. this morning. It was really a great experience and I came back with a 3m 30sec film called "Soft Spot."

Because of locations, I had to toss my script and start from scratch with the script, so I stayed up late nights in the hotel writing that and a shot list. We had 4 hours to shoot it (one day only) and 5 hours (also one day only) for me to edit it. I was absolutely sweating bullets, but the movie came out great.

I'm not sure as of now, but I think it will eventually be posted @ StudentFilms.com. The actors and every filmmaker there were really great people and we all networked well. It was pretty hard to leave.

Last edited:
Back