welcome post

This may not be the right thread for this question (or I should probably start a new one?) but what's the best way to research how productions are currently scheduled? From what I've been able to research, the main document is the Shooting Schedule, but this only pertains to the Production (and specifically the scenes/cast/props/etc.). How is everything else scheduled to make sure the Shooting Schedule is maintained (locations, stunts, contracts, etc.)? Is this done on the fly, or is there a master document?

What kinda scheduling methods you got? I've read about those strip frames... Or whatever they used where you have the long strips on a giant timeline... It seemed extremely complicated by today's standards.

Hi There!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because
"Sound is half of the experience"
If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic.
If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur.

Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

Well to try and make a long story short, I currently work as a scheduling consultant in the real estate/construction industry. For the past year, I've been looking at ways we can use our methods in the film industry to make things more efficient (and save time). Hopefully this isn't offensive, but there are a remarkable number of similarities between real estate/construction and film. The process I've created is a new way to create and view the Shooting Schedule so the production team can see the whole project at once, rather than flipping through multiple pages of a print out, or looking at those strips that you mentioned.

In addition, this new schedule will layer in all the other aspects of production that need to take place in order for the Shooting Schedule to be accomplished (locations, etc. previously mentioned). Again, you would be able to see the entire project on one page (albeit a large page) and can make decisions on location availability, cast order, and many others. I haven't been able to find anything schedule related outside the Shooting Schedule, and have to think I'm missing something when these projects are complex and require intense coordination.

Well to try and make a long story short, I currently work as a scheduling consultant in the real estate/construction industry. For the past year, I've been looking at ways we can use our methods in the film industry to make things more efficient (and save time). Hopefully this isn't offensive, but there are a remarkable number of similarities between real estate/construction and film. The process I've created is a new way to create and view the Shooting Schedule so the production team can see the whole project at once, rather than flipping through multiple pages of a print out, or looking at those strips that you mentioned.

In addition, this new schedule will layer in all the other aspects of production that need to take place in order for the Shooting Schedule to be accomplished (locations, etc. previously mentioned). Again, you would be able to see the entire project on one page (albeit a large page) and can make decisions on location availability, cast order, and many others. I haven't been able to find anything schedule related outside the Shooting Schedule, and have to think I'm missing something when these projects are complex and require intense coordination.
Well if its a modern INDIE film set, they just use regular scheduling apps from what I've seen. Nothing overly complicated or complex. The old school method was using the strip board like I said... I'm pretty sure the strip board was set up to be all on one page too. They would actually use colored construction paper or sometimes white boards to put the entire production schedule in one place. (They already have digital versions of this). There is a software I just discovered called Set Hero as one of the examples.

There's nothing stopping you from trying your scheduling out with local film productions around your area. Most INDIE crew are literally desperate or dying for a good producer. Maybe you could apply for the job and use your schedule with the Director of the production?

But if you are looking to market this, and sell it... I'd say you are already outnumbered by the many many options already out there with catchy names. Heck, even CELTX has a scheduling software I believe, and it automatically ties in with your script already.

I've seen Movie Magic and Gorilla 6 scheduling (it seems these are the two main ones) and have been testing out one from StudioBinder since its much cheaper, but yes these basically provide the stripboard in a digital format with the colors and everything. I still haven't seen where/how everything else is scheduled, but teams might be using other things if its a smaller production like you said.

Stupid question: how would you recommend finding an indie/local production to test this? I've been scouring the internet trying to find a job board or something in my area (Atlanta, GA) that would allow me to do this. For one, it would be free since its still in the testing phase. And two, I'm pretty confident that if I can get this in front of a producer and explain the process, it would be used

I've seen Movie Magic and Gorilla 6 scheduling (it seems these are the two main ones) and have been testing out one from StudioBinder since its much cheaper, but yes these basically provide the stripboard in a digital format with the colors and everything. I still haven't seen where/how everything else is scheduled, but teams might be using other things if its a smaller production like you said.

Stupid question: how would you recommend finding an indie/local production to test this? I've been scouring the internet trying to find a job board or something in my area (Atlanta, GA) that would allow me to do this. For one, it would be free since its still in the testing phase. And two, I'm pretty confident that if I can get this in front of a producer and explain the process, it would be used
My main resource for everything film is always Facebook. All you need to do is type your area, then add Film or Filmmakers or Indie to that city and you should find most of the communities available in your area.

Atlanta, GA should have TONS!

You can also try this forum, or there is a site called ProductionHUB that lists jobs based on city or various things.

But honestly, Facebook is the best bet to find all sorts of filmmakers. Almost every production has a page these days.

Last edited:
Back