Wanting to use a certain gun for my film

First, I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the "On the Set" forum. So, mod, if there is a more appropriate forum, please move accordingly.

Anyway, I wanted to use the Beretta 92 INOX in my film, as one of the prop guns. I particularly wanted to use an airsoft version with the Beretta inscriptions on the slide (the "PIERETTO BERETTA" thing inscribed on the side of the slide). I really like that gun and wanted to use that for my film. It looks exactly like the real deal except that it fires BBs and not actual bullets. But here's the problem: There is the Western Arms manufactured Beretta 92 INOX (that's an airsoft) but everywhere I go looking for it, it's sold out, which I'm not surprised because it's really rare and it costs $300.

Would it be more worth it if I just got the KJW chromed m92 with NO INSCRIPTIONS on the slide that's only between $60 and $100? I wanted it to look as real as possible on screen, and I did want it to shine. What would you guys recommend I do? After all, this is my first film.

Don't go into debt on your first film. That's the best advice I can give you.

Well ok that and, I wouldn't spend $300 on an airsoft gun if I could get a real gun for not much more money. Not that I'm advocating that any schmoe off the street try to use a real gun in their film by any means... but $300 for an airsoft gun, to me, is a waste of money.

Last edited:
Gun aficionados will recognize firearms, the general public will not.

As for the rest, you've already stated that budget is a major concern, so go for the cheaper weapon. From my point of view, if the audience is noticing the make/model of a weapon - unless it is a major plot point - then you are not fully engaging your audience in the scene/story.

Can't you just rent the gun you want from a props house?

How much are you planning on paying Beretta's legal team for licensing permission to showcase their product in your film?

You had darn well better be making Beretta look like gun making gods, otherwise the'll come down on you like a ton of bricks for damaging their brand, or potentially damaging their brand.

Otherwise, no one's gonna give two flying figs about the pistol.
And a flimsy 10oz plastic airsoft pistol is going to "heft about" the actor's hands considerably different than a 2lb chunk of metal. :yes:

How much are you planning on paying Beretta's legal team for licensing permission to showcase their product in your film?

You had darn well better be making Beretta look like gun making gods, otherwise the'll come down on you like a ton of bricks for damaging their brand, or potentially damaging their brand.

Otherwise, no one's gonna give two flying figs about the pistol.
And a flimsy 10oz plastic airsoft pistol is going to "heft about" the actor's hands considerably different than a 2lb chunk of metal. :yes:

1. Uh, none!

2. You had me cracking up with that!

3. Sure. I just like the realistic look of it, especially the "PIETRO BERETTA" names on the side. But i will follow the advice of the first two guys who said paying that much money on a gun just because of its looks isn't worth it.

To Lucky Hardwood:
Can you pull the trigger on those kinds of guns and clock the slide? And i think I've found my solution as it's cheaper than hiring an armorer.

But still, even though I've never yet used or even touched a firearm, I'm in love with the Beretta 92 INOX!

http://m.airsoftmegastore.com/4044-kjw-mil-spec-m9-beretta-gas-blowback-pistol-polished-silver.aspx

I mean, just look at that thing! So sexy and beautiful to look at.

I have several black Beretta blank firing replicas. Actually one of those is a Glock.

guns.jpg

Honestly, I don't use many closeup shots of the guns. I wouldn't worry about the inscription.

Last edited:
To Lucky Hardwood:
Can you pull the trigger on those kinds of guns and clock the slide? And i think I've found my solution as it's cheaper than hiring an armorer.

But still, even though I've never yet used or even touched a firearm, I'm in love with the Beretta 92 INOX!

http://m.airsoftmegastore.com/4044-kjw-mil-spec-m9-beretta-gas-blowback-pistol-polished-silver.aspx

I mean, just look at that thing! So sexy and beautiful to look at.

Did you watch the video in the ebay listing? The Denix replica has a removable magazine that can hold 5 dummy rounds, the slide can be pulled back and the trigger causes the hammer to cycle.

If you want a nickel plated blank firing replica for $139.00, http://blank-guns-depot.com/blank-firing-guns-store/product.php?productid=1558&cat=0&page=1

Or you can get the black version for $99.00. http://blank-guns-depot.com/blank-firing-guns-store/product.php?productid=1627&cat=374&page=3

Last edited:
Back