wanting to make a short with $1,000

Hello guys,

I have an idea for a short that i want to make. It's a horror-thriller film that takes place in a creepy old medical clinic (or i can shoot in a hospital and then shoot an exterior shot of a clinic for an establishing shot).

Here's what I feel nervous about: I want to try not to spend any more than $1,000 on making the whole thing but don't think that'll be enough for everything. Maybe a camera, mics, lights, food, and a very small crew?

As the writer-producer-director of this movie, i will feed my cast and crew at the very least. I do want to submit it to film festivals and/or upload it to websites where you gotta pay to watch movies and also make a trailer and put it on YouTube.

Mind you, I'm not in a rush to make this particular film. Something is telling me to just finish the script and then shelf it until i can afford to make it and work on something less complex.But there is a part of me that believes I can pull that off with a grand in hand.

Now i may be familiar to some of you guys as I have talked about making a whole feature but I decided to hold off and start off small and make shorts.

My question to you guys is should I start even smaller and make something simpler?

Natalie

Check out FilmOneFest (the Atlantic Highlands One-Minute International Film Festival).

http://filmonefest.org/

Yes, one minute short films - live action, animation, stop motion, you name it.

This!

1 minute is a great 'format' to get creative and try things content and technical wise.
In 2 weeks time you should be able to make at least one.

Making a film is not only about a great story and having a vision: it also entails grasping what needs to be done to get it done (planning, logistics, the right shots, workflow, working with other people,the list goes on...). Making little things give you first hand experience without drowning you.
It's like learning to swim the easy way: in the shallow pool first to take 'baby steps' to get comfortable with the water.

I love to make the really short shorts from 1 to 4 minutes to try new things and till little stories :)

Smart phone + FilMic Pro app, which costs $9.99. It can actually get a decent image out of your phone. Here is a test I did with my iPhone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AsjmCAkKpE It isn't without flaws but is probably the cheapest HD camera you'll get unless you have a friend/DP who owns one and is willing to work for a meal.

If you have friends who have equipment already you'll save a bunch of money. You really should pay your crew, but some people with nothing on their resume or who want to build a reel will consider doing it for dinner and a copy of the film. Do NOT ask people to work for free if they have a decent amount of experience unless they are a really, really good friend of yours. I have a few close friends who wanted to collaborate with me on a short horror film. We made this for $150 total https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QphRWtQObXo Once again, not without flaws but doable if you're looking to get a project made and learn a whole lot doing it.

EDIT: The chances of you making your money back on your first film are almost 0%. Especially if it's a short. Don't let that discourage you from making something.

EDIT: The chances of you making your money back on your first film are almost 0%. Especially if it's a short. Don't let that discourage you from making something.

Most likely, you will be proud of your first shortwhen you finish it.
2 Projects later you hate it for all the things you did 'wrong' and consider it crap.
A few years later you'll smile when you look at it and laugh at yourself for all the mistakes you made "What were we thinking!?"

All part of the proces of learning :)

I've been spending around $800 per short. When I got into my first 'big' festival (big, by my standards), I was talking with directors who were spending $800 per hour on location fees, for two solid days of shooting.

However, we were in the same festival, in the same bar, drinking the same beer.

I think $800 is more than enough to shoot a short if you do it right.

Back