Wanting a particular actor for a film

Hey, guys. Sorry if this is the wrong category. Didn't know where to plop this, lol.

So anyway there is this particular actor (whose name I won't disclose here) I would love to have in my feature-length film for a particular role. He's not a huge Hollywood name but he does have almost 30 acting credits under his belt. I had a bit of a crush on this guy when I saw him in this one 2008 film and I'm still a fan of his so getting him to be in this film will be like a dream come true for me.

Has this ever happened with anyone else? Wanting a certain actor/actress to play a particular role in a film? How would this work?

Thanks

Natalie

Of course. I haven't made any films yet, but as I am writing my scripts I'm always picturing which actor/actress I would love to see play my characters. How to go about this is another question. Haha. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I did PM you though.

G

like sgtp I haven't made a film yet but it's certainly something I think about when I'm writing. What you have to think about when approaching them is the worse they can say is no. I spoke to a junior agent at CAA about a a red headed former Alister who's in and out of rehab. He was polite enough with his no. I've also spoken to agents for a minor celeb and former world champion pro wrestler (both no's) and I'm currently trying to get another pro wrestling petsonality to voice a character in my animation, logistics are currently working against me (she's in Orlando I'm based in Cardiff). Go for it and let us know how it goes

Wanting a certain actor/actress to play a particular role in a film? How would this work?

I'd assume they have an agent. You really have 3 options with option 1 really frowned upon.

1). Approach the actor through personal contacts (or knowing them yourself). Pitch the project and hope like hell they'll come on board as a favor.
2). Make an offer to their agent.
3). Hire a Casting Director. Get them to make an offer to their agent.

I'm going to stay away from the personal (having a bit of a crush on
an actor) or the writing of the script with an actor in mind and stick
to the business aspect.

Something important to think about; working actors see acting as
their job, their way of making a living. So the way a filmmaker gets
an actor to play a part in a film is to offer them a job. It really is that
simple. Yes, a "A-list" actor will be getting thousands of offers and
have very little open time but a working actor with almost 30 credits
will be easy to get ahold of.

If I remember correctly your initial budget was $500,000 but now you
are looking at $2,000,000 so all you need to do is contact the actors
agent with an offer. Since this is so personal for you, Natalie, I suggest
following Sweetie's number 3 - when you have the budget in hand you
should hire a casting director.

I'm going to stay away from the personal (having a bit of a crush on
an actor) or the writing of the script with an actor in mind and stick
to the business aspect.

Gotcha, though i had no plans of telling things that personal... cuz then they'd think I'm stalking him, lol.

Something important to think about; working actors see acting as
their job, their way of making a living. So the way a filmmaker gets
an actor to play a part in a film is to offer them a job. It really is that
simple. Yes, a "A-list" actor will be getting thousands of offers and
have very little open time but a working actor with almost 30 credits
will be easy to get ahold of.

Well yeah but given that this particular person is no stranger to Hollywood he still not really an A-lister.

If I remember correctly your initial budget was $500,000 but now you
are looking at $2,000,000 so all you need to do is contact the actors
agent with an offer. Since this is so personal for you, Natalie, I suggest
following Sweetie's number 3 - when you have the budget in hand you
should hire a casting director.

Yes. My reason for a budget jump was because of the kind of equipment i want to use, name actors to work in it, and i wanted to give the film a Hollywood feel to it.

Back