Want to record in 2:35:1 AR but need a mask on camera display?

Hi all,

Pretty soon I'll be buying either an EOS Rebel t2i or t3i (whichever one happens to have a better price when I shop for it), and I'm going to shoot my first video with it in the 2:35:1 anamorphic aspect ratio. However, I can't afford an external display that will provide guides on the footage so I can frame my shot properly, so my question is this: is there a way I can accurately place something on the screen of the DLSR itself to provide these guides other than just eye-balling it, or am I better off just eye-balling it?

I was thinking I could take some black construction paper and cut it to the appropriate sizes, and then use a very thin piece of tape on either side to hold it in place so that I wouldn't get any adhesive on the screen. Would any of you guys recommend this, or do you have any better ideas? :)

Thanks!

-Yodaman

Hey Yodaman!

On the T3i there is the "Grid Display" option in the menu settings. You can choose one of two grids that will appear on your LCD display to help you frame your shots. I'm not exactly sure which aspect ratios the grids are framed for, but I always use Grid 2 because it seems to be closest to 2:55:1, which is the AR I like.

Now, I may be less calculated with my shots than other people, but what I like to do is shoot with the grid display, try to keep my shots in the lines where I think I will frame them in post, then in FCP (or your editing platform of choice), add a 2:55:1 (or in your case 2:35:1) widescreen matte.

Hope that helps :)

Hey thanks, I could probably eye-ball from 2:55:1 to 2:35:1 pretty easily! I'll definitely go with the t3i then, and maybe someday I'll be able to get an external monitor to help me out a bit. :P

Grid display should be available on all models - it's a tool for composing shots, photo or video. Have you heard of the "Rule of Thirds"? That's the kind of thing grid lines are for.

Whichever model you choose, you can install Magic Lantern firmware. That will allow you to install whatever 'crop marks' you like (2.35:1 is on there as standard!).

When you buy, the t3i will almost certainly be more expensive; it's a newer camera. But the video capabilities of both models are virtually identical (although the pivoting screen of the t3i would be a blessing). Stick Magic Lantern on either and you'll do fine.

I do recommend the T3i simply for the pivoting screen. It may not sound like a big deal, but it ABSOLUTELY IS. I started with the T2i and upgraded and boy am I glad I did.

Both are fantastic cameras though, equal in power. And if you are going to be using an external monitor the flipout screen may not be such a big deal to have. Always nice to have a few extra $$ to throw at some lenses anyway.

If you load Magic Lantern on the camera, you can use whatever cropmarks you want, just also have an image for it on the card, select it in the settings, and you're all set.

CraigL

tape on the screen is good..

shooting anamorphic means your going to be monitoring a squished up distored image. Its packing more width into the same 16x9 space, so you dont WANT to use a set of crop marks for the final aspect, cause then you'd be framing for even shorter screen.. does this make sense?

You can buy monitors that will unsquish for you, more money etc..

The specs for some of the SmallHD stuff shows anamorphic desqueze

http://www.smallhd.com/products/ac7/software.html

Last edited:
Wheatgrinder, it'll all be post work in which I crop the footage to simulate a 2:35:1 ratio. I won't have a squished or distorted image at all.

Or, rather than cropping, I'll just slap a filter on the footage like I did with some test footage I shot with my phone earlier. :) Link.

I'm definitely going to look into Magic Lantern! Thanks guys! :)

Back