• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 'Visitant' short film

Hi, I'm new to the forum and thought I would start by showcasing some of my work.

I'm a student filmmaker from the North West of England and have just finished by first short drama which I filmed, directed and edited. My biggest inspiration in the filmmaking industry is Shane Meadows which will hopefully be reflected in the style of my work.

I hope you enjoy it and I would love to hear your feedback and questions.

https://vimeo.com/55387559

Thanks,
Aaron.

Sound design was bad the drawing of the cigarette was exaggerated too much, the dialogue was too echoey, visually it was good, but some cuts felt rushed or didn't seem right, once the man left it got pointless for me, the ending left a question to the audience but to me felt unfinished and ruined the story.

Just my opinion though

Where are you studying?

I liked it. Unlike Salacious, I thought the sound design was much better than some of the other stuff I've seen on here, so as a student, you're off to a good start. The middle was slow for me, but other than that, nice job.

I liked it. Unlike Salacious, I thought the sound design was much better than some of the other stuff I've seen on here, so as a student, you're off to a good start. The middle was slow for me, but other than that, nice job.

I liked it, I was just pointing out what I didn't like, criticism doesn't mean dislike but to your defence I should have said that I liked it

Thanks for the feedback.

I like criticism, you will never improve if people don't point out your mistakes although I would've preferred the feedback to be less based around the technical aspects such as sound quality when you consider it was made with no budget and I decided to use all of my own gear so the microphone cost £20. A student film is never going to match up to the sound quality of what you might be used to watching at the cinema but I am definitely aware of these issues.

It is interesting to hear different opinions, some people like the pace of the middle section and the cliffhanger but I understand that everyone has different tastes. I will try to improve more and more with every film that I make.

I am studying at Blackburn College.

Thanks,
Aaron.

Ah now you say it was with a £20 mic that changes the ball game. I have to assume your working with average equipment.

What camera did you use?

Ah now you say it was with a £20 mic that changes the ball game. I have to assume your working with average equipment.

What camera did you use?

That's cool, maybe I should've stated my equipment in the initial post. I used a low end Nikon D3100, bottom of the market in terms of DSLR for video. It lacks proper manual exposure and you have to rely on locking the AE control and using exposure compensation which is a pain.

If you want to check out a documentary I made with higher quality camera equipment and microphones check out this post here: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=45045

Thanks mate,
Aaron.

Back