Virtual Machines

Yeah....

What happened last summer is that I had too many things going on. So even when I did things right, it was months before I could get back to doing anything. (The indie film I was DP and editor for is still NOT DONE :grumpy: and not my fault.) So consequently, I would lose some of your instruction and get all paranoid about what to do, especially because I had not already done it.

But once I figure something out, normally with some help:D, I can keep it pretty straight, especially when I keep using it. So the website I made for my uncle - wasn't the best, but I was proud of what I learned - once I get Bootcamp on my Mac, I'll be able to work on it so that it is something he can use and I can be proud of. So there's that. I have an appointment with a counselor in my department tomorrow.

.....you gotta start somewhere.....

-- spinner :cool:

Knightly knows what he's talking about - there's nothing you'll need to do web development that you can't do just as well on a mac.

You should find out if the professor is actually expecting you to run development software on windows, or just wants you to be able to test against IE. That's the only thing I ever use windows for, and for that I'd actually say boot camp isn't a great choice - personally I use VMWare Fusion, but it's essentially the same as parallels. The reason I say that is compatibility testing is always an iterative process - check the site in IE, identify the problems, come up with a solution, implement the solution, test again in both IE and firefox/webkit, repeat the whole process with the new things you've broken now. With bootcamp you have to shut down your computer and reboot to get back into windows. It's much quicker to just have windows running as an app that you can jump back and forth to from whatever tools you are using for the work.

We use VMWare for heavy lifting at my job. Not sure how well the consumer version of it works. I have run Windows free Virtual Machine as well with no issues. We almost don't have any dedicated physical servers here anymore. Everything, including SQL Server databases is run on VMs that reside on a couple of cabinets full of blade servers.

Just getting into VM on MAC here at work. I have a huge VMware shop, but that doesnt work so well for mac. Parallels is the tool of choice here at my work for running windows on macs. But this is for running windows office style applications, I dont know that anyone is running an editor or what ever, which Im guessing you DONT want to do, but I thought Id mention it.

MS Office is available for the Mac and has been for a long time... and if you don't like that, openoffice.org works in that environment... the only hold outs have been outlook as a mail and calendaring app... but that's now been rectified. Mail and iCal support outlook/entourage.

Last edited:
"available" doesn't mean useful when every other one of the 30,000 employees in your compay is using windows systems. PowerPoint, Lync, etc.. just too many headaches. Much easier to load up corporate IT provided IMAGE of a supported OS and apps and get work done. :)

The OP has here instructor telling her she needs a windows system for school. Parallels on a MAC should meet all her needs.

EDIT: This is hearsay on my part, I shall know in a few weeks as Im getting my company supplied MAC book in a few weeks. Preparatory to my ordering a bunch of heptacore 64gb ram MacPro's for certain activities that shall remain unmentioned on the Internets..

Before I get Bootcamp, do I need to have snow leopard before I download it? I'll be putting Bootcamp on my system today.....

-- spinner :cool:

EDIT: nevermind.... :)

Last edited:
nope, should work just fine on leopard and forward (10.5).. make sure you use the appropriate version for your system though... google is your friend. Although, upgrading to snow leopard won't be a bad idea... I'm happy with the upgrade... and pretty much locked in at that point. I have tried lion but found it to be too much of a departure to how I expect my computer to work for me to make the leap forward. I can't do mountain lion on my laptop as it's too old (you have the same model as me, or older, so no go for you as well).

I feel Virtual Box would only be right for you.

VirtualBox is powerful, brimming with terrific features and, best of all — free. It’s a lean piece of software requiring little more than a recent Intel or AMD processor, while boasting seamless integration and switching capabilities within the host desktop. It’s also available on all major platforms, and features plain-text XML files for easy navigation. It remains coupled with special software packages designed to aid users with sharing folders and drives among guest and host operating systems.

The software functions nearly identically regardless of the host platform, and even offers 3D virtualization, multi-screen resolutions, and laudable hardware support, among other features. It’s not the quickest or most industrious when compared to similar offerings, but then again, you often get what you pay for.

There are other great Virtual Machine Applications too but I would suggest you to read more about them before deciding which one would be best for you.

Back