Virgin Filmmaker

Hey everyone,

If you are viewing this message and are curious to know if your suspicion of the content is correct, then yes you have guessed it, I am new to the game. Just to give brief background of myself, I have several copyright stage plays that I have written, directed, and produced at various churches. After doing a lot of research ( and I know that I have a lot more to do), I have found out that I am considered a "triple-threat" in the industry because I am a writer, director, and producer! Wow, until now, I never viewed myself as such so if you don't mind, from here on out you can call me just that, "triple threat"!

Now with the introductions out of the way, the purpose of this message is a cry for help. I am embarking on a journey alone here and I need advice from those who are willing. I am embarking on a new career as a filmmaker and I am just starting to write my first screenplay. Writing and producing stage plays are a lot different than the film industry (as I am finding out through research) and saying that, I was wondering if anyone out there can offer some advice on how to get started network in the industry when your are new and have no work out there. Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you soon........

sincerely yours,

Triple Threat

Welcome to indietalk.

Networking correctly is effortless and almost accidental. As you work you
meet people. There is no formula other than people who do are more
likely to make friends with people who do and people who talk are more
likely to make friends with people who talk.

But you know that. I bet you have connections among the theater
people where you live and work because you actually write, produce
and direct plays.

Same with screenplays. Networking is a slow process. And it sneaks
up on you. I found a DP I worked with for years on a short film - I
was doing efx, she was the camera loader. I got my first job as a
writer while working on a TV series. The writer of one episode was
curious about one scene he had written show showed up on set to
watch. We talked and became friends and almost a year later he
asked me if had any stories to pitch.

In neither case did I try to "network" - I just did. And I think that's
very typical.

How did you get your first play on the boards? And how did the second
one come about?

Thanks

Hey Directorik,

I want to personally thank you for your response and wise words. Actually, how I became able to produce plays is because I wrote the plays, then I talked to the appropriate person at me church to give me the "go-ahead" to produce the play, then that's what I did. After my first one, it was a lot easier because I didn't have to ask, the first one was so well-liked until they actually ASKED me to produce more! Then that's what happened, it was like a "word-of-mouth" type of deal, other churches started telling others, etc...

yours truly,

Triple Threat

Back