Vintage Lenses

Hey there! It's been quite a while, but lately I've gotten deeper into the world of DSLR shooting. Seeing as I have very little money, lately I've been searching pawn shops, craigslist, etc. for deals on vintage film lenses. So far my search has yielded a SMC Takumar 55mm f2 m42 mount for $10. It is a very sharp lens and I like the look a lot. Do any of you use vintage lenses? If so, which are your favorite? Which are your least favorite?

sigh....
I used to have a problem with whoring for old lenses... My doctor says Im all better now...

My favs are old canon FD (metal rings only, nothing newer than 1973!) I have 17mm f4, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8

In addition I have a bucket of m42 mount lenses. Of particular interest is my zenitar 16mm and a few Russian bits.

Yashica made some really nice primes back in the 70s and early 80s. Look for Yashica Contax ML lenses. Y/C mount adapters are readily available.

The only downside to the Yashica lenses is that they skipped 85mm and 105mm. ML lenses can be found in 15, 21, 24, 28, 35, 50, 135, 200, 300, and 400. There's also a 500mm reflex. The 50mm comes in a few aperture ratings (1.4, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0). There are 55 and 100mm MLs, but they're macro with no infinity focus.

sigh....
I used to have a problem with whoring for old lenses... My doctor says Im all better now...

My favs are old canon FD (metal rings only, nothing newer than 1973!) I have 17mm f4, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8

In addition I have a bucket of m42 mount lenses. Of particular interest is my zenitar 16mm and a few Russian bits.

I think I've got just that exact bug! It does become quite obsessive! I'd love to explore more m42 mount lenses, but most of the vintage lenses I've located are bayonet mount, probably FD. What I love about the Takumar is it's full metal construction, no plastic parts to bring down the durability.

@AcousticAI

Do you typically buy from ebay, or look through local stores as I have?

@All

Additionally, I'm going to the Buena Park camera show next weekend and I'm super excited about the possibilities! However, these people do actually know about what they're selling so I'm worried I won't get as great a deal as I anticipate. Most of the pawn shops I've been to just want to get rid of these things!

I stumbled on my first Yashica at a local camera store. After reading up on them, I sort of got hooked. The shop didn't have a huge selection, so I went to eBay. I'm very careful about purchasing there, but so far haven't bought a Yashica that's been less than described or expected.

I still check the used lens case when I' in the local shop, but there's not so much movement in this town when it comes to vintage lenses.

Back