Vimeo Problems

95% of the time Vimeo videos will not work properly on my computer. Is there something I need to update or change? The sound usually plays fine, but the video gets stuck on a frame, it's like a horrible slide show.

I remember reading something about the differences in how YouTube and Vimeo get their videos to us over the internet and how Vimeo had some holes in their system causing what you are describing.

Let me chew on where the heck I saw that.

YouTube plays great.

I can have no other applications open, and they still don't play.

I'd say it's just my computer. But, I've tried them on my work computer also, and the same thing happens.

There's quite a few things on Vimeo I'd like to see, and I can't.

But, I do have to say, the quality of the videos are much higher then youtube when I can see them.

I get that a lot on my work lappy, normally fine at home though. Youtube normally works OK so I guess Vimeo either compresses less or have a less efficient delivery method. As it is fine at home I'm guessing it's a performance issue. Either with computer hardware or internet connection.

I've never had any issues with any Vimeo videos on any computer except for an iPad. I keep trying on different computers but have yet to have any problems. It intrigues me that so many people complain, yet I've found it impossible to encounter.

I've occasionally had Vimeo issues like that, but not that bad. More with uploading.

Like most things with video, I find the longer the piece, the more likely it is to have playback issues.

**shrug** for the most part I've been satisfied with Vimeo and I've not had anyone tell me they've had trouble using the site - and we have several things on there, including several feature-length pieces.

I've never had any issues with any Vimeo videos on any computer except for an iPad. I keep trying on different computers but have yet to have any problems. It intrigues me that so many people complain, yet I've found it impossible to encounter.

Vimeo claim to have sorted i-device playback. Have you tried the app? Found that to work well with Vimeo

Even though vimeo runs fine 99% of the time on my pc and internet connection, sometimes the vids take forever to load. Does the problem occur even when uve waited for the whole video to load and then hit play?

Last edited:
I asked the techs at the vimeo site. What I really disliked about their answer, they were able to tell me what version of Firefox and Flash player I was using. That really skeeved me out. Especially since I was at my work computer and my home computer was off.

I find if I turn HD off, the videos work a little better. Still not great, but at least they move instead of jumping. Also, they play the same way fully downloaded or not.

Back