• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Video to Film

Greetings.
I'd like to transfer my DV footage to 16mm.
What's going to be the approx. price for that?
Sorry, I thought I was posting this topic to the post forum...

Last edited:
I am not sure why you'd want to put it to 16mm, since most places can't project 16. Also you'll add more grain with that method. 35 is more standard, since more options are made for it. old 16mm CRT printers are still around cheaply, but are in bad repair and won't give you a very high quality look (often times very notacably worse than the original footage). If you go the modern 35mm method, you can expect to pay $500/minute of footage + color post + lab charges to develop the print and then strike release positive prints.

I am not sure why you'd want to put it to 16mm
Because I don't think my resolution allows me to go to 35mm. I have a PAL music video, which I want to put out to film, so that it would be possible to scan it in HD. Do you think this actually might work? I know that pixels don't appear on themselves, but still I think it should work.

I'd be happy to upscale your music video to HD for less money than it would cost to print to film and re-digitize it. Essentially, you just want to upscale it about 10% at a time, and apply some sharpening at each step. Using bicubic interpolation, you'll get decent anti-aliasing, but you'll see a definite softening of the image. There are also complex (slow) scaling tools that use vectors, thereby detecting and enhancing lines and edges as they upscale. Depending on the subject matter, they can do a pretty good job. No matter what you do, you never get something for nothing, so printing to film and rescanning is going to introduce more losses and will still produce a soft image.

Doug

yeah a good upscale is your best bet. What was your format of origination? something like digi-beta upscales nicely. beta-SP or dv (mini-DV, DVCAM, DVCPRO-25) has a little more issue with an up-res. DVCPRO-50 handles it well, but not as well as digibeta. Lazering to film for an HD telecine would probably be the worst way to upres, unless your goal was to incorperate film grain (which would be easier accomplised with a digital effect)

Back