Video Production route into Film industry

Any opinions if this is a good route to get into the film industry? Ive done quite a lot of corporate videography work, I enjoy doing things like adverts and would happily do them as a full time job. Obviously the dream is to eventually work in film though. I just want to start earning decent money as soon as possible, which is why I want to start working in video production, whilst on the side using the money to fund my film projects and then hopefully eventually I can get into a more film focused production company.

Do you think this is a good route? Or am I better off just doing a lot of runner work?

Runner work would in the long run most likely be a better option.

You'll create connections in the industry and get to see how the professionals / semi-professionals work on set.

I don't know what "runner work" is, my friend, but I have asked similar questions, and the answer is a qualified yes.
Filmation and Partisan companies got into film via ads, and so did Jerry Bruckheimer.

While ads are not the same as commercial videos, the same logic would apply.

I did as a "qualified" to my "yes" because there are many, many ways to get into the business, but it's also a very tough business to get into, and a very tough one to survive in. I've been learning about this for half a decade, and, only now am I getting ready to get into pre-production - I'm not at pre-prod yet, but getting ready to get into it.

Last, but certainly not least, if video production can be your cash cow ... GO FOR IT! :)

Back