Video Games anyone?

Just curious as to how many of you out there play video games? I found that once I started down the path to filmmaking I had to put my gaming completely aside. It was nearly as bad as crack. Any others in a similar boat or have a similar experience?

Moving to the country (no DSL) left me with MUCH more time for my creative pursuits. I got off the junk around the time of Everquest was getting big.. (I was on an small squad playing Americas Army and Operation Flash Point.. ) Playing even new games, against AI, just doesn't satisfy for long..

I was just getting in to map making and skinning, which makes me wonder if that could be a useful "visualization" technique.. build a Quake arena map of your set, skin the players with your actors.. .. could be a good "added bonus" on the DVD. Basically get the video game of the movie.. or at least the look and feel of the movie.. for free.. Id buy that!

Last edited:
Used to play a LOT more than I do now....wanting to get back into a bit-got hooked on Guitar Hero a while back, now have a hankerin to buy an Xbox :)

The last console system I had was a 3DO :cool:

For the past 10+ years, I've only ever played MMORPGs. Only one at a time.

Still saving the galaxy in EVE Online, atm. Been playin' that one since '05, I think.

Aside from that - haven't played (or had the desire) to play any typical video games.

UO occupied my early years...

I miss OG '98 UO - addictive. I wish I had more screenshots. Lots of great memories.

Now, none at all.

Last edited:
I personally can't stand them. Cost way too much money and they end up becoming nothing more than frisbees after a few months. And I just couldn't see myself plopped in front of my tv for hours on end. Hell I'm probably the only 21 year old in America who hates these things.

I'd rather be film junkie than a video game junkie.

I game quite a bit...I do a little 360, but mostly PC games.

My recommendations:

* Mass Effect 2 (playing through the first one will better your experience)
* Battlefield Bad Company 2
* Bioshock 2
* Dragon Age: Origins
* Batman Arkham Asylum

Those are all amazing...at least on the PC.

Well my PC died about 7 months ago, so i've not played many Online games since, but back in the day, Counter-Strike, Insurgency, Americas Army, Company of Heroes.

Currently i have my PS3 to keep me company, and Fallout 3 pretty much rules my gaming time.
That and GTA4. Recently with trying my hand at film making in a more serious way, i've not much time for games, but i've always been a gamer.

I've also done level design, releasing some maps for a couple of shooters in the past.
it would be a neat way to do visualization, time consuming though, and with how time consuming film making can be, adding "create entire set in 3D gaming engine" to the To Do checklist might be a bit much.
for me anyway, maybe not for some ;)

Definetly. Actually if any of you wanna play sometime my PSN and Xbox live gamertag are both Sk8erDrew94, so send me a friend request :P

yeah fairly big gamer! would be bigger if had the time.

Xbox360 man through and through.

most recent game played was Batman Arkham Asylum, which is about as rad a game as you could want in that genre. i thought is was excellent!

my favourites are shooters. i love shooters! the Halo's, the Gears of War's and the Call of Duty's.

but can't go past some old exellence:
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom
Zelda ocarina of time
GOLDENEYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crash bandicoot 1 & 2
Tony hawks pro skater 1 & 2
the list could go on and on really...

I used to play a lot but lost interest a couple of years ago.
there are still a few games I enjoy playing, though, but gaming is no longer that important for me.
when I play today, it's usually good ol' Lucasarts Adventures (Monkey Island, Loom, Indy, etc.) :D

Just curious as to how many of you out there play video games? I found that once I started down the path to filmmaking I had to put my gaming completely aside. It was nearly as bad as crack. Any others in a similar boat or have a similar experience?

Gaming is what got me into film-making, as games have become more and more cinematic over time I started playing them, then downloading their soundtracks and envisioning my own scenes in my head to that music.

Then of course one day decided to shoot my idea, that was about 4 years ago and needless to say the result was shockingly awful and will never see the light of day....but yeah, that's how I got here :lol:

But I am a video gamer, Video Games in the foreseeable future will be as big as films I think, and not just to gamers but any normal viewer (In my opinion anyway)

FIFA (insert year here) + GEARS 2 on the 360.

I have dropped my playing time considerably so that I can get some work done but I still play every now and then for a break or to get through a patch of writer's block.

FIFA (insert year here) + GEARS 2 on the 360.

I have dropped my playing time considerably so that I can get some work done but I still play every now and then for a break or to get through a patch of writer's block.

I bet scriptwriters are going to have a field day when Alan Wake comes out

Back