• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

VIDEO GAME MOVIES PT2: THE GUIDLINES

Hello, IndieTalk. SlugWriter here.

My first post about video game movies wasn't very in depth. Actually, it was a half-fast post. Almost impulsive. This one is about the guidlines to a good video game movie.

I have recently been working on a few projects. One of these projects, a HALO script. I myself used to be a very huge gamer, playing whenever I had the chance. But the last 7 months my life has been dedicated to film and my future. Only being able to play games when I have the time, about twice a week. But, I still keep up with all aspects of entertainment, including video games; I even have a game informer Subscription so I do indeed, know what I'm talking about. I've done my research, watched about a dozen video game movies and have made a few conclusions.

But beside all of this, and the fact the Prince of Persia movie Tanked; when it comes to ratings; I thought it'd be a good time to get some things straight. A good time to answer a few questions that I have been answer. And sometimes, Indie Talk is the best place.

Why have all the game movies sucked so far??
--- I have been asking myself this question far to many times. And in my research, I figured, if they can adapt a comic book and do good, than they should be able to do a video game adaption. but so far, they sucked. Why? Well, because;

A- The writing. Most of the writers have no expirience with video games, and even worse, no time with the game they're writing. They should indeed play the game, know the characters. Interact with the game creators and have a substantial equalibreum with their ideas along with fresh ideas, and what the fans want. Which brings me to....

B- Keep the FANS HAPPY!! Open up a site where the fans can post what they want. This is the best way to make sure they keep coming back for more. If the fans aren't impressed, then your skrewed, and skewered. If the fans get what they want, along with some fresh plot twists and turns, and a few new elements, you have kept the fans happy, along with those who aren't familiar with the game. This also opens up oppurtunities, such as a trilogy, or sequel. To many times have film makers strayed away from the source material and made their OWN VERSION! Bad Bad Bad boys. And this leads me to my next point...

C- Follow the source material. Keep the same story, if the game has one (Mario lol). Most the time, video games already have indepth stories, filled with plot points and already loved characters. Don't fuck this up, or you fucked it all up. When I sai follow the source material, I mean it. This means; Follow the storyline. Not 100%, maybe 70 or 65% with some new story lines and plots. Make sure you adapt the characters. The characters were them! Each gamer at one point was that character, so make them feel the character in a new way. Let them see the characters think for they're, as well adapting some of the attributes players put into their characters. Such as recklessness and cockiness. Along with a badass aura of no fear. But remember, in a movie, your bringing the character to life. So they must have human characteristics, that is of course, the character is human lol.

D- Take the movie serious. I dont know, but it seems 85% of videogame movies, were never taken serious by the company making it. They made it seem more as a joke, or thought this will never work, but for sure will bring money in. Prince of Persia and Resident evil were two movies they attempted to do seriously, and still sucked. The film makers have to carry on their shoulders the fact that fans are counting on them. They will make cash either way, and you may have to spend a little extra, but if you do good, and follow these guidlines, your money will come back in seven fold. So, to all Producers, and executives, quit bullshiting. And no more Doom-a-likes!

E- Casting. Make sure the casting is good. Don't cast a white person to play someone who was a black character. It's insulting, and it takes away from the story and removes you from the realm. Make sure you pick someone who fits the part. I dont know how to stress this anymore, but it's very very important.

F- Don't let Uwe Bowl direct! Period.

G- Mixing elements. Take Halo as an example. They're 5 games out for halo. About to be 6. Mix characters from all them in. Don't mix storylines of two games into one for it can get quite complex. Or it ruins the flow. I can understand if a game series has 10 or 13 games (cough cough, Final fantasy) and you feel like pulling things from several of the earlier games into the first movie. But make sure to keep the fans happy. Thats the Rules!! lol.

H- Get a good director. Peter Jackson, is my top pick for a Halo film. Someone who knows how to keep fans happy, aswell as create a good image. Go Peter!! No Tim Burton.

Since Games are Interactive, and Movies are not, does it ruin it?
--- This statement is tossed around by skeptics more than ping pong ball in a game of beer pong. And even though I am far from a skeptic, It does make sense. You cant deny. So far it seems this statement is true. But I still have hope. No film I have ever seen that is based of a game has followed these guidlines. So, I have hope. Video games are interactive. That's what separates them from everything else. But movies aren't and if you adapt a game into a movie, it is no longer a game. And everyone loves movies. Not everyone loves games. So it seems either way you throw it, that statement really doesn't matter. If you pull the story, the characters and weapons or items from the game and toss them in the movie, people will watch it! It seems odd, I know, but if a movie is good, it doesnt matter where it came from or how it got there, it only matters that's good. So, I have hope and so should you!

If you want to read my Halo script thus far, email me. reeves.jacob@ymail.com

The third part to this will be posted shortly. Thank you for reading.

Don't cast a white person to play someone who was a black character. It's insulting, and it takes away from the story and removes you from the realm.

I could not disagree more.

Even changing genders can work well. I think it's one of the best decisions that BattleStar Galactica ever made; taking characters that millions grew up with, and turning them into chicks. I was kinda :huh: when I first heard about that, but it worked wonderfully.

There are very few roles that are exclusively race-based.

Back