Video game copyright issues ?

There is a scene where I need to show my actor playing 'Fight Night Round 4' on xbox360. If I show the game for about 15 seconds is that a problem? ... I'm not trying to sell the game or do anything with it you know. I hate these stupid copyright infringements like in my case. I'm doing an over shoulder shot where you see the TV 'game' and part of the actor.

I hope that's fine :huh:

Does it suck (in some ways yes), but it's still the law.

In youtube reality, it'll probably slide by. HOWEVER, if the copyright holder contacts youtube and complains they will take it down.

It's a royal pain in the ass, BUT the law protects everybody. I don't want my material in somebody else's film without my permission either. Even if it's only a few seconds.

Does it suck (in some ways yes), but it's still the law.

In youtube reality, it'll probably slide by. HOWEVER, if the copyright holder contacts youtube and complains they will take it down.

It's a royal pain in the ass, BUT the law protects everybody. I don't want my material in somebody else's film without my permission either. Even if it's only a few seconds.

Soon I might get accepted to the partner program, so I don't want to lose that video or get in trouble just because of it!

What should I do then ? What's a fair use ?

Can I add a link to their website on my video description box ? I mean at least they will get some reputation when I use their game or get more exposed as I am getting views.

Last edited:
You're only looking at it from the point of view of what you want. From the copyright holders point of view you are benefitting from all of their hard work, so they deserve financial compensation. It is someone elses property, and using it without permission is stealing. What if someone decides to use one of your video clips without your permission and makes a killing off of it; wouldn't you want to be compensated? The shoe sure pinches when it's on the other foot....

Now, you don't have to get permission, but there is always the possibility - however remote - that the copyright holder could come after you for copyright infringement. At the very least you would have to retain a lawyer, and that can get very expensive. Worst case scenario you end up paying out big bucks. I've heard stories; the best/worst of which was a very junior partner at a law firm who cruised YouTube and went after guys like you to impress the senior partners with his diligence.

Another way to look at it is that you are very talented, your vid goes viral, but all of a sudden it gets yanked because of the copyright infringement, killing the momentum and your chance for "fame and fortune".

BTW, there's another thread about just using video game sounds, and the answer is the same.

Can't you cut around it?

How do I get it when I'm only a small filmmaker doing this for my Youtube channel ?

The same way the big filmmakers would get it.

How can I contact them anyway ?

Google the publishers listed in the game credits.

Don't you think this is a little bit ridiculous , they limit us big time!

I think you should spend months of time and thousands of dollars on your film, so I can take a copy of it, I can sell it and I can make the all the money from it. Deal? ;)

Are you sure I have to get a permission for such use

Yes

For an example of how to make a film about a very well-known videogame that never shows the game at all, subscribe to the free web-series by Felicia Day, "The Guild". It's a bout a group of people who play WoW constantly, but it's only ever referred to as "the game". You never see the game. Never hear it. Go watch it.

Last edited:
If I don't show the game, the movie won't work. If I send them a message, they will probably ignore me or at least ask for money.

Now I am limited and I have to create another story unless if there is another method ! I might try to contact them later, but it doesn't look like anything is for free.

Last edited:
If I don't show the game, they movie won't work. If I send them a message, they will probably ignore me or at least ask for money.

Now I am limited and I have to create another story I guess unless if there is another method ! I might try to contact them, but it doesn't look like anything is for free.

No, you have decided that it is easier to give up than to figure out a solution.
smiley_colbert.gif

This is just another occasion were indie filmmakers have to be creative and ingenious in finding ways around problems that studios could solve simply by chucking money at 'em...

I recommend looking at either the option that Gonzo has just suggested, of using only public domain footage, or of going down the route that I think Cracker Funk is in another thread, of using generic game sounds and keeping all the scion off screen.

Don't see this as a setback, but as another way to be inventive

If there is another game about boxing then yes that would solve my problem.

What's the best public domain out there?

The is the first time I hear about public domains by the way !

It will take some research. All those old arcade games you see on compilations... They are probably on a compilations because the copyright has expired. You might see if the old "Punch Out" game has gone public domain. might find an animation whiz who could knock off a few seconds of something that looked like a boxing game for nothing (credit), lots of options you could explore.

It will take some research. All those old arcade games you see on compilations... They are probably on a compilations because the copyright has expired. You might see if the old "Punch Out" game has gone public domain. might find an animation whiz who could knock off a few seconds of something that looked like a boxing game for nothing (credit), lots of options you could explore.

These games look horrible, but yes if I have to use them I will.

Here is what I found
http://www.public-domain-content.com/encyclopedia/Video_games.shtml

so if I show any of these games on my movie, it won't be a problem right ?

Thank you guys !

Gonzo_Entertainment, Alcove Audio, Zensteve, NickClapper.

Last edited:
With games like Halo, Half-life and Time Crisis on that list i'm guessing there will be a problem, yes.

Honestly, find a 3d animator on youtube and ask them to make an animation of a 'fighting game mockup'. They will either charge you a little or do it for a credit in your film.

With games like Halo, Half-life and Time Crisis on that list i'm guessing there will be a problem, yes.

Honestly, find a 3d animator on youtube and ask them to make an animation of a 'fighting game mockup'. They will either charge you a little or do it for a credit in your film.

Yeah, me too. It's like if I needed a newscast on the TV in a scene. I'd film a fake newscast myself.

Are these games okay? I found them on the same website.

* King of Fighters
* Mortal Kombat
* Street Fighter
* Super Smash Bros
* Tekken
* Virtua Fighter
* Punch Out (what Gonzo_Entertainment suggested)

If yes, then I will pick one and my problem is solved. :D

Last edited:
Back