video editing help please

wsup ppl, I just ordered a canon rebel t4i and im trying to find out what we be a good video editing program for windows. My budget is $180-$200 but if you guys know something more affordable i'd appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

video editing program for windows. My budget is $180-$200

You can get a bundled copy of Adobe Premiere Elements & Adobe Photoshop Elements for $150. The Elements line is missing a few bells & whistles from the pro versions, but still a really good deal for that price.

Also, the Sony Vegas software has some versions starting at about $100, with a few upgrades available at pretty low additional cost as well. Not a fan of this software, myself, having had some issues with it, but many others swear by it.

:cool:

I'm pretty loyal to Premiere. I've never used Elements, but if Steve is recommending it, I take that as a pretty good recommendation.

I've used Vegas, and it's worked fine for me. I think choosing between the two, you're looking at a win-win scenario.

Try the trial version first and see which one is most intuitive. Vegas makes more sense for me, some like Premiere better.
If you like both, I'd recommend Premiere simply cuz there are so many other softwares it integrates with such as After Effects and the brand has more cache as it's been around a long time. Sony Vegas is kind of the Rodney Dangerfield of NLE's.

Try the trial version first and see which one is most intuitive. Vegas makes more sense for me, some like Premiere better.
If you like both, I'd recommend Premiere simply cuz there are so many other softwares it integrates with such as After Effects and the brand has more cache as it's been around a long time. Sony Vegas is kind of the Rodney Dangerfield of NLE's.

My buddy who's a big Vegas nut that fell out of love with them at Vegas 11 is starting to get starry-eyed for Vegas 12, so it's looking like an interesting time for the Sony software.

If you're buying one of the two, however, I'd go with Adobe until Sony releases Vegas 12, and there's a bit of time for people to review it. Don't bother with Vegas 11.

My buddy who's a big Vegas nut that fell out of love with them at Vegas 11 is starting to get starry-eyed for Vegas 12, so it's looking like an interesting time for the Sony software.

If you're buying one of the two, however, I'd go with Adobe until Sony releases Vegas 12, and there's a bit of time for people to review it. Don't bother with Vegas 11.

Man I'm still slummin' in Vegas 10.

I still love Vegas, but I am trying to get away from it to learn Avid since Vegas is rarely used in the pro editing market, and I'm thinking about going into post-production as a career once I graduate. If you're willing to take on the challenge of learning the industry standard software, I say go for Avid. Especially if you're a student, then you have no excuse since you can get a copy with a student discount for like $250. Unless you only want to shoot your own projects for fun, in which case I'd recommend Vegas Studio or whatever their introductory software is called.

Back