Video Camera With Auto-focus

Hi, I'm very new to filmmaking, I just do it as a hobby. I'm working on a no-budget project, so I'm stuck with the video camera I currently have, which is a Canon HD Vixia HG20. I really love it a lot, it has great picture and its easy to work with. However, one thing I don't like is the auto focuser. It doesn't have any way to manually change the focus. So, I'm guessing there is no way to do the effect where you have the background focused and the foreground not, and vice versa. I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, cause there really isn't anything I can do about that, right?

It's been a while since I took that camera out for a test drive.
But I know it has manual focus. As I recall it's on a joystick
and not a focus ring. Check your user manual.

There is.

Move the camera as far from the subject as you can and
zoom in. That will give you shallow depth of field.

Well. Uh, I guess it depends on your definition of "shallow", as that term is obviously relative. Compare the image you would get with this camera to say, I dunno, an f1.8 100mm lens on a DSLR. Nope, not even slightly the same.

Thank you. I suppose I probably should have done a bit more research before I came crying to a forum :) . It may not look as good as a real expensive professional camera, but I think it will suit my needs. Thanks again for the help!

Thank you. I suppose I probably should have done a bit more research before I came crying to a forum :) . It may not look as good as a real expensive professional camera, but I think it will suit my needs. Thanks again for the help!

It's not the cost of the camera, it's a different technology. DSLR's are actually super-cheap, that's what's crazy.

Do some googling on the term "depth of field". The look you're talking about is shallow depth of field. You can't get it with your camera (alone).

However, I believe there are a lot of people with conversion kits, adding extra lenses on top of the lens already on your camera, or something like that. I don't know how it works -- I just bought a DSLR. Anyway, search these forums for "35mm conversion", to see the tricks people are playing to make their video cameras look more "filmic".

Ya know, sometimes we no budget filmmakers must make due with what
we have available. Sure, it's not going to look like a AL50 T2 Primo on a
PFX-P Platinum. It won't even look like your beloved Rebel t2i. But with
a little work and some patience and some experimentation one can do all
right with that little camera.

Ya know, sometimes we no budget filmmakers must make due with what
we have available. Sure, it's not going to look like a AL50 T2 Primo on a
PFX-P Platinum. It won't even look like your beloved Rebel t2i. But with
a little work and some patience and some experimentation one can do all
right with that little camera.

Ya, looks like we were both typing something at the same time. I agree, the OP can find a way to make it work, especially if he/she messes around with a conversion kit.

EvolvingMind, I just remembered -- one of the people on this forum who has found success with a conversion kit is wheatgrinder. Go to his public profile, look through the threads he's frequented, and you'll probably find a very inexpensive DIY solution to what you're looking for.

I've been experimenting a bit with the camera now and surprisingly I did manage to get some half-decent looking results. I have also been looking into the 35mm conversion thing and am definitely considering building one. Thanks again guys!

Back