Vegas 5 question...

Im new, obviously. I have a question. I go to play back my clips on Vegas, and a box comes up. It reads as follows:

"An Error occurred while starting Playback. The device specified is in use."

Then there's an OK button and Details button. The OK botton does nothing, and the Details button says as follows:

"The playback device Microsoft Sound Mapper does not exist."

Now, what do I do? I have Direct X 9 or 8, one of them. I also think I have Windows Media Player 10. The clips work outside of Vegas so I am confused... Any help would be appreciated.

A codec is the compression format for a Clip.

If you are using firewire to capture clips from a DV camera, DV25 is the codec that all Mini-DV Cameras use to acquire footage onto tape, and then when you download those clips via firewire into Vegas, Vegas pulls that same data off the tape in DV25, so you have a DV25 clip. If then, you save that file to Windows Media Video, it is now in WMP codec. If you save that clip (Render) to DIVX it is now in a DIVX codec. If you use quicktime, there are a plethora of codecs like Sorenson or Mpeg-4 which will compress your video and audio and allow you to play in Quicktime. Audio is the same way. Mp3 is a codec, so is Windows Media Audio. You really need to have a firm grasp on what Codecs are as a fundamental step to understanding how to make good movies with Vegas. If you use the help file in Vegas and look up Codec it should explain this in more detail.

Conversely you can convert all clips - video and audio or just video or just audio to UNCOMPRESSED format, which saves the file as UNCOMPRESSED WAV or AVI. This means no codec is used, it save the footage in as high of possible editable way as possible. This is better than using the compressed codec to do your editing by all ways, the major downside is to convert all of your footage takes very little time but much, much much more space on your harddrive.

There is apparently some type of a problem using WMP codec clips on the timeline in Vegas, although I have never encountered this.

IF you are using just the raw DV25 stuff captured straight from your camera there is probably a different issue at work.

Somehow your clips inside of Vegas are having an issue with your hardware. It might be the sound card drivers themselves, the settings you have in Vegas for sound, or the DirectX installation or even the codec you might be using to render with.

Last edited:
Where are you getting your footage from?
Also need to KNOW if you've installed WMP10 and which version of DirectX you have... Not that you "might" have it... need to know it.

Codec is what is used to compress the video footage.

Did you create the footage yourself? If so, how?

I think Im miss understood. Im using clips I downloaded off of the computer. So all that is messed up. And I use Windows Media Player, and I think I have 9 because I can't seem to get 10 but i'll try again. So what do I do?

See if you have downloaded these clips off the internet, they are probably in one of those compresed internet codecs like Windows Media or QUicktime. When you look at the file on your harddrive, what is the extension? .wmv ? .asf ? .mov ?

If you started to install WMP10 or are using WMP10 clips and only have WMP9 installed, Vegas may be having a fit with it. First find out what the extention of the file is.

They've all got differant extentions, because I downloaded them from Ares. Here is what I found:

MPEG
AVI
QTIME
CVID
AVICVID
WMV
ASF
MOV

so...also, im trying to download WMP 10...

CoDec is short for Compressor/Decompressor.

It's the specific way in which the audio and video are encoded.

File-types such as .mov and .wmv are "wrappers" that hold all the bits & pieces that comprise the file together. A video file that ends in .mov could have any one of dozens of CoDecs used within it for that clip; one for audio, and another for video.

Many of the most common CoDecs are included with the media player's basic install. These tend to be automatically picked up by your NLE and are usable. However, sometimes you'll come across CoDecs that are not on your computer, and you have to find them... if you know what they are.

Additionally, there are some CoDecs that are freely available to use in media players, but require propietary software to purchase to actually function in an NLE. Panasonic's MPEG converter is one such product. Anyone can view MPEG... but if you want to use this specific Panasonic CoDec in Adobe, for example, you have to cough up some dollars.

If you view the "Properties" of a clip in Advanced, it will tell you a lot more about the actual video clip you are using. Frame rate, datastream size and which specific CoDecs were used.

Are you trying to load various clips of differing type into the same Vegas project?

It's really easy actually. It's the program. I can hit pause, with nothing on the project and it happen. I can have just audio and it do it. And, no they all turn to .WMV when I start Vegas. Where can I download Codecs, and everything works, it just happens when i want to play it back, like they load up on Vegas, but It won't play back, and the message that comes up is what i putn in my first pose. Also, I used to have Vegas and it worked. Then it stopped working and I hit repair. And when I did that it worked (came up) and now this is happening.

Oh damn... NEVER use PEER-TO-PEER... bad juju!

I suppose you got Vegas from Ares?

I would say to re-install it but if you pirated it, you have a bad copy or maybe even a virus.

Especially using P2P... That's the script kiddie world of hacking. That's their testing ground.

Back