• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Using music in movies

Hey so I was wondering how much is it to use somebody elses song? Like for example using the song "low" from cracker in a movie. How much would that cost?

The fee charged is set by the owner of the song. Many owners have a sliding
scale depending on how the song is being used. There is no, set, number
that applies to all songs for all uses. The only way to know is to ask the
copyright owner.

And don't forget, you need 2 sets of rights - one for the composition, meaning the written song and whoever own the publishing rights THEN you need to obtain the license for the actual RECORDING of the song too.

Price will vary a lot depending on how many people will see the movie.

It depends on how famous the song is too. If it's under a known label (Universal or something) you're looking at a minimum of a few thousand dollars (and that's cheap). If it's a really famous song then it can be over 100k.
You might be better off getting an indie artist's song. You'll pay a lot less and help get them some exposure in the process.

use an unsigned band. They'll be super-pumped to be featured in a movie. You can even negotiate a deal where they pay you to shoot a music video for them, and put it on a DVD

I read somewhere that its cheaper to use older songs like 50s-70s. I dont know if thats true

It still doesn't change what was said above. The general rule is the more well known the song, the more money you're going to have to shell out... and even if it was from the 50-70s, you still have to negotiate two sets of licenses as mentioned above.

This is why a lot of music directors for TV shows tend to go with unsigned or lesser known bands. In addition to being a heck of a lot cheaper, negotiating licenses tends to be easier b/c unsigned bands typically own both the composition rights and the master recording rights. This isn't always the case for a song that's signed by a label, especially one of the majors. Typically, you have to negotiate with two different entities. For example, the record label may own the rights to the performance master but a publishing company may own the rights to the composition and you need BOTH to use the song.

The moral of the story: unless you have a lot of time and money or if your movie REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY needs a particular song, go with a independent/unsigned band's song.

I read somewhere that its cheaper to use older songs like 50s-70s. I dont know if thats true
No, that isn't true.

The age of the song rarely comes into the decision by the copyright owner.
In many cases a newer song that is less known might be considerably
cheaper to license than a popular song of the 50s-70s. Motown, the Beatles
catalogue, Elvis, Stones, Zeppelin - all music from the 50s-70s - will likely
be very, very expensive. Unknown songs from those decades will likely be
cheaper. A song like "Low" from Cracker may not be expensive at all - certainly
less than anything from Stones, Beatles or Zeppelin. However, the song was
just featured in a movie so they may not be willing to license it for another
film for a while.

You know the only way to find out....

I'm doing a lot of reading in this forum since my "film" is in the script writing phase.

Unfortunately my main character sings and plays piano in a bar. I have only $4K for a budget so do the math. So far and no surprise finding a local unsigned talent will most likely be the solution. It will be tough in my neck of the woods. We have about 50K people in the whole county.

Just want to say thanks. I'll keep reading and hopefuly keep learning.

John

You can work towards getting the synchronization rights, aka publishing rights, by contacting ASCAP or BMI as a starting point. They will help you contact the rights holders for the sheet music. Generally after completing that step, they will also help you get in touch with whoever holds the rights to the recording.

Remember, The Beatles do not own the rights to their own sheet music. Every single night Paul McCartney plays any of his Beatles songs in concert, a little money is owed to Michael Jackson and Sony Music Publishing. In the last 20 some years, the Beatles have only licensed their recordings to film/TV enough times to be counted on 1 hand (Dinner for Schmucks for "Fool on a Hill" for over $3 million and "Tomorrow Never Knows" for Mad Men for over $2 million).

finding a local unsigned talent will most likely be the solution. It will be tough in my neck of the woods. We have about 50K people in the whole county.

You don't have to use talent only in your county. :huh:

There's a million unsigned bands which you can find and contact over the 'net. Heck, even a simple Craigslist post in a few of the larger metropolitan areas will have a thousand bands flooding you with free music. Sifting through it can be quite a chore, so you're better off spending some time finding suitable bands or songs yourself (there's no shortage of musician/music sites to sift through) and then asking them directly.

If they say yes? SASE with a simple release.

If they say no? They were just one of a million. Next.

Of course, you get no songs if you don't start askin' at all. :cool:

You don't have to use talent only in your county. :huh:

There's a million unsigned bands which you can find and contact over the 'net. Heck, even a simple Craigslist post in a few of the larger metropolitan areas will have a thousand bands flooding you with free music...
Of course, you get no songs if you don't start askin' at all. :cool:
Thanks, you do bring up some good points. For what I'm looking do I'd like my lead actor to actually sing and play the piano. Of course he needn't write his own music and lyrics.

Music Supervision

Hi, i am just starting out as an independent Music Supervisor and what the guys have said is spot on. in simple terms, there are 3 choices. Composers, Signed acts or another alternative Libraries like AudioNetworks or **********.com

I'm in the process of starting my showreel, so let me know if you want some (free) help.

Lee

Just to give you a point of reference...

A film I did audio post work on looked into getting the track "The Middle" by Jimmy Eats World. They wanted $100,000 plus points.

I've been the music supervisor for a number of films, and, as has been said quite a few times, there are THOUSANDS of indie bands who would love to have their track in a film. And there is lots of great material out there that has been very nicely recorded.

Back