• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Using free short story sites....

Ive found plenty of online free short story websites, with users submitting their own fictional stories...

i've found some really good stories and wonder what the procedure would be to use the stories?

Because they have submitted them to a free site... do i still have to ask permission? Can i just sue it withiut them knowing? or credit it them in the credits?

Ask them. They put time and effort into those pieces of work, should least get their permission. The majority will love for people to make a short film of their story! It's like if someone took your film and used it without asking you.

Let me ask you a question.

When you make a movie and put it on the free YouTube
site do you then feel anyone can take your film and use it
however they want?

Yes, you need to ask permission. Show them the respect
you would want. Writers care as much about their stories
as you do about your movies. I suspect most would be
thrilled that a filmmaker want to adapt their story. Ask them.

The authors still retain copyright. Copyright allows the author to publish their work in whatever medium they choose. Placing it on a public free site DOES NOT make it public domain. Nor does it make you less liable for being sued. ALWAYS get written permission from the author. It will cover your a** in the long run. I've had a short story that I shared with a friend end up being posted to a public site without my knowledge. My friend shared it with his friend who then posted it. I found it and asked the site to remove it and they did.

Copyright is conferred to the author immediately upon committing the concept to a medium. The creator has several rights. Copyright registration is a legal formality. Adaptation is a right reserved for the creator. The Digital Millenium Copyright Act has clarified that just posting to the Internet does not invalidate copyright protections or make the work public domain. The Internet is viewed as another publishing medium.

So before using someone's work off the Internet, get their permission!

Back