Union vs Nonunion casting

what exactly should I expect, while casting for union vs nonunion

I mean there are several issues I am interested in:

1) What are the differences in costs?
2) Should I expect union actors to be more professional, I don't say more experienced

Since I am not from US, I have never delt with SAG, and need to understand, how the system workds

Understanding how the system works is VERY different than
your two questions.

1) SAG has minimum day and week rates. There are even different
tiers depending on the budget. Non union actors can be paid any
amount you agree on - including no pay at all.

2) Yes. But not in all cases. There is still the human element. Being
a member of the guild doesn't change human behavior. From my
experience I have found the percentage of professionalism to non
professionalism to be identical in guild and non guild people.

Understanding how the system works is VERY different than
your two questions.

1) SAG has minimum day and week rates. There are even different
tiers depending on the budget. Non union actors can be paid any
amount you agree on - including no pay at all.

2) Yes. But not in all cases. There is still the human element. Being
a member of the guild doesn't change human behavior. From my
experience I have found the percentage of professionalism to non
professionalism to be identical in guild and non guild people.

1) So, SAG actors have minimum rates, but can I negotiate other terms? my case principal shooting will take place in Georgia, and traveling with business class could cost much more than what they get paid. Is it negotiable at all? Also, how the process work, should I approach SAG for casting, or should I cast myself, and then if I choose SAG then contact SAG? or is it the other way around?

2) Well, the human factor is of course important, but is there any requirements actors need to meet in order to be in union? Well, yes that would answer my question - what exactly is required from the actor to be SAG member? does it have to do anything with talent, or is it a different factor.

The requirement to join SAG is appearing in a "SAG Film".

It basically means they (at some point) had a part in a production large enough that all the performers were employed under SAG guidelines, which gave them the opportunity to join, and they did. It is no reflection whatsoever on their talent or lack of.

What using SAG actors means in practical terms is you will have to file paperwork and log sheets with SAG indicating you are complying with their rules on pay, breaks, meals, etc...

In both cases some will be great, others will suck.

The difference being every good actor has to start out non-union. Find those actors, unless you have the cash to spend on union ones.

In both cases some will be great, others will suck.

The difference being every good actor has to start out non-union. Find those actors, unless you have the cash to spend on union ones.

But, what is the reason to go with Union if it is only papers and nothing else? Also if I have cash what is the reason, benefit of using unions.

None, unless the actor you really want is a member of the union.

Great that answers my question.

But still, to double check - could the reason be that, it is some kind of filter of better chance of finding a right actor, or even this is not a factor?

Also, if an actor is Union, and he/she wants to play in the movie, and you can not afford to pay, and actor also does not mind, would unions let them to?

This brings up an interesting question... labor unions require their users continue their training and education in their field as an offset to the increased cost of using union labor... what is our incentive to using union labor on our set if this isn't a requirement in this field?

This brings up an interesting question... labor unions require their users continue their training and education in their field as an offset to the increased cost of using union labor... what is our incentive to using union labor on our set if this isn't a requirement in this field?

good question, which leads me into another one - what is required for an actor to become guild member?

The unions have deals worked out with the big studios and other unions. If a studio doesnt use them for one project then they strike for the others. Most actors, directors, editors and crew are in a guild or union so they kind of have to use them.

It started out being a way to ensure workers (actors, etc) were fairly compensated for work, but it's now arguably a system that's too big to shut down.

Personally, not a fan of any unions. I know why they exist, and I understand that employers have taken advantage of employees in the past. Now days it's the other way around though.

I plan as a director and producer to avoid unions whenever possible, and pay fairly and treat people well.

So, SAG actors have minimum rates, but can I negotiate other terms?
Yes. Just not lower terms. SAG has a minimum pay requirement - you
cannot pay less than that minimum.

my case principal shooting will take place in Georgia, and traveling with business class could cost much more than what they get paid. Is it negotiable at all?
No. Travel, lodging and per diem minimums are not negotiable. You
can offer better - you cannot offer less.

Also, how the process work, should I approach SAG for casting, or should I cast myself, and then if I choose SAG then contact SAG? or is it the other way around?
SAG does not do any casting nor do they help you with casting. If
you want to hire guild actors then you will contact SAG first,
sign an agreement with them agreeing to follow all their
requirements and then you will cast your actors.

Gonzo is correct, there are no requirements other than being
eligible. Really bad, very unprofessional people can (and do) join
SAG. Talent is not a requirement. You will find actors in SAG that
you will not think are talented. That’s why you hold auditions.

But, what is the reason to go with Union if it is only papers and nothing else? Also if I have cash what is the reason, benefit of using unions.
In many cases there is no reason at all to use guild actors. As
Gonzo said, if there is a specific actor you want to use and that
actor is a member then you must work under the guild requirements.

In the rare cases that you do have a contract issue with an actor
you have very clear wording that you can hold them too. Something
you may not have using non guild talent. SAG will help a producer
enforce their contract. On the other hand, they will fight on the side
of their member if the producer violates a contract term.

SAG is not a trade or craft union. It is a Guild. And you have
pointed out the primary difference. A guild is in place to enforce
working conditions and pay scales, they do not require any skills
or training.

directorik

good explanaition.

what I don't understand then, is that, why would a begginer actor join SAG, if that limits her experience, because of indie productions being so budget wise.

directorik By the way did you get my PM ?

Joining SAG opens up more and better paid opportunities.
Even low budget producers can hire SAG actors under their
low budget agreement. Joining does not limit their experience.

Joining isn't for everyone and many beginner actors do not
join.

Back