• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Two short films I DP'ed recently

I have a feature film I acted as Producer and Director of Photography for, "Reverb Junkies" coming out early next year, and was asked to DP a couple of films for an actress/friend of mine. She intends to make a third film and have the three of them as a kind of triptych when screened together. Not sure what order she will present them in, but the first we shot was "Christmas Presence":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cf_0bfnd2M

And this is "April Showers":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkoVFRi6exg

Feedback is welcome. Thanks!

gelder

Last edited:
Pretty good shot selection. No real criticisms on the DP side of things.
As a whole though some of the acting is pretty rough, and whatever they are doing for sound they need a major upgrade.

Thanks for watching..!

Yeah, the producer can only budget so much, and she hasn't been able to afford bringing in a sound guy yet, so the sound is just a shotgun mic set on a boom stand positioned as best as I can. Would love to have someone covering on-set audio.

She's a close friend, so I work at a super low "family rate" for camera, editing, and doing what I can with limited sound, which is basic level balancing and trying to keep consistent room tone throughout.

gelder

Thanks for watching..!

Yeah, the producer can only budget so much, and she hasn't been able to afford bringing in a sound guy yet, so the sound is just a shotgun mic set on a boom stand positioned as best as I can. Would love to have someone covering on-set audio.

She's a close friend, so I work at a super low "family rate" for camera, editing, and doing what I can with limited sound, which is basic level balancing and trying to keep consistent room tone throughout.

gelder

Good stuff, Steve. Some pro attention to audio will give it a whole new feel. Camera is fine, no worries.

Camera work was decent, Steve, although is it me or do I see some interlacing of frames going on? Maybe it was just a few cuts.

The first few moments in the shower scene were,
quite frankly, revolting. Something about hucking up a lunger then getting a close up shot of her tongue... gross!

* I liked the lighting on the Monica in Christmas Presence.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cam and Jeff...

Yeah, I think the interlace is at the beginning of Christmas Presence...? Around the white door as it swings...?

And I agree about the first few moments in the shower.

Maybe I should have mentioned there's an almost naked lady in one of the films to get more responses...? ;)

Thanks for looking and the feedback, Guys.

gelder

Those are nice, Steve. Good camera work. The acting's also really fine work. So, would you like to do more dp-ing?

Thanks, richy.

It's more that I'm all right working as DP, than I feel driven to do more of it. The feature film came about because I owned gear and was willing to give up months and months of my time to shoot.

I like working almost all positions on the set, and I like being able to tell someone how I would shoot/frame something, with some respect for what they have to do to make that happen.

But, I would accept the work, if anyone was looking, with more confidence, thanks to all these different projects.

gelder

DP wise, it looks like good work to me. I could comment on the acting and sound and production design and what is lacking there but as far as your work goes, it looks good :)

Back