Two footages - one from DSLR and another from HD camcorder

Hi veterans,

I am aiming to buy a small bouquet of video equipments which shall be aiming to produce HD contents on DVD. I am inclined to buy an entry level DSLR (like 600D) and H1 recorder for sound and a HD camcorder (preferably in range of 500 to 600 $) .

I would like to know that when editing on FCP or ADOBE , Could I face any issue with two footages , one from DSLR and another from HD camcorder. In case there is an issue then how easy or hard is the solution. Please comments on the quality of end product also.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

when editing on FCP or ADOBE , Could I face any issue with two footages , one from DSLR and another from HD camcorder.

Maybe. Without knowing what cameras they are (and thus, what they record as), there's no way to say for sure.

Right now, I'm editing something with footage from a Canon DSLR and footage from a Canon HV40 tape-based camcorder. Bother are HD, in theory, but different specs - and since the timeline can only be set up to optimise one format or the other, things are always going to bog down.

However, if your camcorder & DSLR are both outputting identical specs, then there'd be no prob at all.

My inclination is that you'd be better off spending the money for the camcorder on lenses, or if you really need a 2nd body - a matching DSLR.

To answer your question - it really depends. I like to rewrap all my footage into ProRes or DNxHD anyway to streamline and make it easier on the machine.

hi

Maybe. Without knowing what cameras they are (and thus, what they record as), there's no way to say for sure.

Right now, I'm editing something with footage from a Canon DSLR and footage from a Canon HV40 tape-based camcorder. Bother are HD, in theory, but different specs - and since the timeline can only be set up to optimise one format or the other, things are always going to bog down.

However, if your camcorder & DSLR are both outputting identical specs, then there'd be no prob at all.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Ok I confirm that I would go for canon 600D and Canon LEGRIA HF R36 Camcorder. please provide suggestion now and what specs I need to identify / compare to face no issue or less issue at editing table.

I could have easily gone for a little high end Canon DSLR (like 650 or 60d) but I find even DSLR with Autofocus features is of no use when it comes to auto-focusing in Video (don’t know about 5d or 7d as they are out of my budget). So I have no other choice to take all my moving shots with a camcorder and DSLR for lense advantages/ effects.

Please give me an alternative solution also, keeping the above aim in mind (auto focusing). I am not pro with lenses so I find above solution economical and practical but only issue is with post / editing.

Thanks

I like to rewrap all my footage into ProRes or DNxHD anyway to streamline and make it easier on the machine.
Being perpetually perturbed by my camera's lossy AVCHD codec (and disappointed that apparently all H.264 MPEG4 AVCHD cameras experience the same compression issues in their images) I just ran a brief internet search of "ProRes DNxHD" to see if there was some work around. The search also snagged Cineform, as well.
Seems those three editing intermediaries are beyond my current and likely near current technical need.

However, as the extent of tech spec gobbledygook is just over my head, can you or others confirm what I suspect:
A) These three editing intermediaries are really only necessary when editing uncompressed >1080 (2k - 4k) resolution image files, right? Codecs that store in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?
B) There's really no need to wrap or work as an intermediary for anything already compressed into 4:2:0 H.264 MPEG4 AVCHD codecs, is there? Those are already compressed?

Along my search I ran across this which may be useful to someone here.
http://www.fallenempiredigital.com/...gopro-cineform-recompression-generation-loss/

A) These three editing intermediaries are really only necessary when editing uncompressed >1080 (2k - 4k) resolution image files, right? Codecs that store in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2?
B) There's really no need to wrap or work as an intermediary for anything already compressed into 4:2:0 H.264 MPEG4 AVCHD codecs, is there? Those are already compressed?

As far as my understanding is:

Intermediary codecs such as ProRes, DNxHD and Cineform are useful for editing uncompressed, or high resolution image files. They compress the file size, whilst keeping a large amount of the image quality.
They are also designed to work really well with NLEs - ProRes was designed for FCP, DNxHD for Avid, and Cineform whilst not necessarily designed for it, apparently works quite well with Premiere.

Files such as .r3d files from a RED are huge and also really difficult to work with in an NLE. They require a lot of processing power to 'decode' them, essentially. By transcoding to an intermediary codec, you are keeping most of the image data, compressing the file size, and putting it into a format that your NLE will be a lot happier with. You can transcode to a low-res proxy file, such as ProRes Proxy to keep file sizes way down. Doing it this way means you edit similar to traditional film - where you'll eventually do an online and re-link to the raw files. You can quite easily transcode .r3d's to something like ProRes 4444 and keep almost all of the quality of the original, even with a log gamma curve to preserve colour data. This way, you don't need to re-link in an online. Many productions use workflows like this (including things like commercials).

When it comes to H.264, MPEG4, AVCHD etc. you are dealing with very compressed files. With traditional DV, you're dealing with, essentially, frame-by-frame compression, in that each frame is compressed one by one. With H.264, MPEG4, AVCHD etc. even older codecs such as HDV etc. etc. you're dealing with a different type of compression, wherein a number of frames are compressed at once - the parts that stay the same between frames are compressed more, and the parts that change are compressed less. The important part is that multiple frames are compressed at once. With frame by frame compression, when you make a cut, you're simply cutting on a frame. With newer compression, you can be cutting essentially in the middle of compression - or at least compressed frames. Therefore, the computer has to re-compress everything either side of the cut, each time it happens. This puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the computer. By transcoding to the intermediary format, you're just making it easier on the computer. If you have a dedicated, fast computer and/or are only dealing with relatively basic edits, it may not be necessary to transcode, but if you have an older, slower, and/or undedicated machine, or are doing complex edits, perhaps some compositing etc. the computer is going to have to work a lot harder than it needs to.

Others may correct me where I may be wrong.

In my experience,

Cineform files are bigger than the original avhcd files, they are less compressed!

Compressed footage means the computer has to decompress them on the fly, so less compression is more computer editing friendly.

I dont bother so much with cineform anymore as my pc seems to handle a few tracks of video without issue, however, there are some apparent quality improvements to be had, particularly if you dig into the 5dtorgb documentation. Obviously you cant ADD info that inst in the original footage, but as you process the footage, you can benefit from the increased color space of an intermediate codex gives you.

could someone recommend tips to avoid any mixing/editing issue of a DSL and Camcorder ?

Dude, they've already answered your question, and gone beyond. At least as far as editing in Premiere is concerned you'll be fine. Not so sure about Final Cut (you might need to transcode the footage into a different format. Even though Premiere handles both types of footage in their native format, there are still reasons why you might want to transcode into Cineform.

I'm not convinced that you need a DSLR and a camcorder. There's other stuff to spend money on. Pick one. There are times when auto-focus is very valuable, but the vast majority of the time, auto-focus is the way to go. Even for documentary work.

thanks

Dude, they've already answered your question, and gone beyond. At least as far as editing in Premiere is concerned you'll be fine. Not so sure about Final Cut (you might need to transcode the footage into a different format. Even though Premiere handles both types of footage in their native format, there are still reasons why you might want to transcode into Cineform.

I'm not convinced that you need a DSLR and a camcorder. There's other stuff to spend money on. Pick one. There are times when auto-focus is very valuable, but the vast majority of the time, auto-focus is the way to go. Even for documentary work.

Even I was thinking on this line only. But I don't want my script to be limited to few cinematic liberties.
I think I have to try it once and then see to what extent it is going to affect the final mix. but I would stick to DSLR for 80% footage and then rest I have to adjust.

thanks

It's not that hard to use the focus ring on your DSLR. If you're shooting something that is scripted, then you should know who is going to do what, when and where. You use this info to hold rehearsals, and those rehearsals are not just for the cast but the crew (including the person in control of the camera's focus).

If you're shooting narrative movies ("regular" non-fiction), you do not want auto-focus. For as many times as you might find it convenient (lazy), there are many more times when the auto-focus will get confused and briefly go out of focus from the subject you wanted to stay focused on. And when that happens, oops, shot ruined! Don't let a stupid computer control your shoot. You should control focus yourself.

Back