• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

true life

hey again,
i was wondering if my true to life story would make a good screen play or not.. or if its even worth putting on paper? my friends and i personally think that its a great idea given what we all know about what happened. but since some of you have more experience i need some feed back.. stick with the real story or throw in some extra-real things.. or just not waste my time?
thanks

No one here has any experience understanding your life or how
it might translate into a screenplay.

My advice is to write it. It's never a waste of time to try. Stick
with the story for the first draft. If you don't like it that way, then
change it and throw in some extra real things for your second draft.
Then do a third draft.

The ONLY way you or anyone else will know if it works is to read the
finished screenplay.

When do you think you can finish the first draft?

I thought you were gonna say what happened to you... I mean, how are we supposed to know if your life makes a good screenplay if we don't know what freakin' happened?

Did you go shark hunting off the coast of Miami?

Did you go on a wild archeological expedition?

Were you an assassin for Israel?

Did you make friends with a lovable extraterrestrial?

Did you hit the beaches on D-Day?

If you did these things, then yes, I think you have a good screenplay.

But one thing, please please please don't tell me you are writing a romantic comedy! There are already too many of those floating around...

haha most definitely not! im sick and tired of those things and i feel like they are parasites... like if anybody starts to write one and finishes then its like thats all they can write!! thanks for the tips though guys.. dont worry dude ill be dropping some elements of the story soon enough

Did you go shark hunting off the coast of Miami?

Did you go on a wild archeological expedition?

Were you an assassin for Israel?

Did you make friends with a lovable extraterrestrial?

Did you hit the beaches on D-Day?

If you did these things, then yes, I think you have a good screenplay.

with respect, I don't think so. coz, like you said, there are already too many of those floating around...;)

From my understanding, any story can be a good screenplay if you write'em well. No matter if it comes from your real life story or from imagination.

if you don't then no one will bother to read your screenplay even if you meet an extraterrestrial on your roof for real.

haha yes that would be cool! and no, i love writing it! i showed it to the most critical person i know, who is my best friend and he loved it! i felt pretty good about that.. now all i have left to impress is a complete stranger... not too worried though its going quite well

Good to hear. From your first post it seemed you had doubts.

Are you sticking with the real story or are you throwing in some extra things?

If you get anymore ideas along the road, write it down. Create a first draft if you think you have a good idea. When you finish it read it, if you see no kind of story don't throw it away, put it somewhere, so you can come back to it if you get more ideas. If you read it and see a little bit of plot... than re-write it and keep re-writing it, you should see the story getting better and better.

I mean great stories aren't wirtten, they are re-written.

Back