Trouble uploading (yes I know, laugh it up)

I'm new to Final Cut Pro. I've used iMovie on projects before but want to learn FCP and all it has to offer.

I'm getting really annoyed by it though. Just trying to import (log and capture) is ridiculous. I simply can't get it to work. Here's what's wrong. If I try the "Batch" capture option by first adding in/out markers to the clip I want, then logging the clip, and then capturing all those logged clips, it has incorrect times on them and tries rewinding to the very very beginning of the tape, which is not what I want. The shots I want are like 15 minutes into the MiniDV tape. I think this is because there are sometimes blank breaks in my video in between myshots. Could this be the problem?

And if I try capturing using "Capture Now", well it keeps wanting to rewind and find the exact frame of every single clip. Personally it doesn't matter that much to me and I don't have the time for it.

What are my solutions?

I'm going to try importing from iMovie for now because it's easier and I have this video due in two days. So then I will export that raw footage as a Quicktime movie so that I can open it back and edit in FCP? Does this sound like a viable option? By the way, I don't want to lose ANY quality.

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Last edited:
As I recall there is an audio issue that causes clips to have to be rerendered before they work very well in FCP when you import with iMovie... knightly can probably clarify that.

My question is why not just capture the entire tape, then scrub through it and do your edit. Maybe not the best solution for most workflows, but it's certainly a workable solution. I often times will capture an entire tape as a single file with Premiere, no reason it shouldn't also work with FCP.

If I try the "Batch" capture option by first adding in/out markers to the clip I want, then logging the clip, and then capturing all those logged clips, it has incorrect times on them and tries rewinding to the very very beginning of the tape, which is not what I want. The shots I want are like 15 minutes into the MiniDV tape. I think this is because there are sometimes blank breaks in my video in between myshots. Could this be the problem?

Most likely, yah.

I always "stripe" my tapes (by recording the lens-cap for the entire length of the tape) before using the tape for a shoot. That lays down a time-code over the whole thing.

The issue you describe happens a lot when people check their footage (after a few takes, or whenever), and then fast-forward (or rewind) to where the last take roughly ended, to continue. It's never exact, and as the recording heads spool up to speed the actual spot on which the recording really starts might be on an unused section of tape.... starting the timecode count from zero again.

When it comes time to batch-capture, it confuses the hell out of the software. You tell it start at 00;00;03;00... batch-capture starts, the camera starts its pre-roll (backing up past the intended start-time, so it has time to get to speed), hits a blank patch, then hits a totally seperate timecode patch (from a prevoius take)... it gets ugly fast.

If you don't want to stripe your tapes, just make a habit of not FF/REW (or ejecting) tapes, and leaving several seconds "extra" after calling cuts. The camera needs the pre-roll.

And if I try capturing using "Capture Now", well it keeps wanting to rewind and find the exact frame of every single clip

Dunno 'bout that. Maybe try going to FCP options and diabling pre-roll (or similar) for imports?

Where is this " FCP options and diabling pre-roll (or similar) for imports? "

No idea; never used FCP, but it can be altered in Adobe, so I'd think FCP had a similar option.

Btw, I forgot to laugh it up earlier, as requested, so here you go.
smiley_toot.gif

If there are timecode gaps, that may well be the dropped frames it's complaining about.

If you're able to import and work with video in iMovie just fine, there's no reason that you shouldn't also be able to in Final Cut.

I had forgotten the "striping" technique, I'll have to remember that.

BTW, I am one of those who is constantly rewinding tape and starting over from an "approximiate" point:rolleyes: so I can identify.

Trying to get into the habit of just filming it forward and then removing what I don't need afterwards.

Ok I figured out uploading.

The next problem I'm having is being able to delete certain clips I don't want and then saving it as a new movie. I don't want all the excess clips when I edit. How do I get rid of it? I've been all over google but can't figure it out. I tried dragging clips into timeline, using the razorblade to split them up, and then deleting the ones I don't want. But then I don't know how to save it as a new clip. I tried "Media Manager..." and added it as a new project. But there has to be a better way

It should go something like this, given variations for different software.

1) Import footage. Ideally via batch-capture, to avoid using harddrive space for unwanted footage.

2) Get a clip into the edit/trim/whatever window. Find where you would like to start & end this clip. Press "I" (for In-point) at the spot to start. Press "O" (for Out-point) at the place where to stop. Your clip should have shortened itself.

3) Drag this to the timeline. You can make further adjustments down there, after you've made your rough assembly.

4) Go back to #2

The in & out points are markers for the software to reference. Nothing more. All the original imported footage is still there. You can razor, set in & out points, drag the ends out, squeeze the clip smaller, chop into 5 pieces and re-arrange them - the original footage itself is not changed.

You might want to pop into a bookstore and pick up a book about your editing software. Sounds like it'll be handy. :)

Back