Trouble Letting Go Of Scripts....

Hey guys,

So I have written many scripts, some with the intention of making, some with the intention of selling. I know that realistically I won't make any of the ones I have now as I am focussed on other projects and have my plans all set.

I would like to give the scripts away, but it's so hard to let them go after all the time that I put in to them. Has anyone else had any really positive experiences with giving scripts away? It may help inspire me to get rid of them.

Thanks

Spencer

Has anyone else had any really positive experiences with giving scripts away?

I've never given away a script. However...

If you hold on to them they will never see the light of day. If you
allow a filmmaker to make one your scripts that will fulfill its intended
destiny - being made into a movie. Maybe it won't be exactly as you
see it in your head but you will see how others see it.

I see no harm in that. That is why scripts are written, is it not? If seeing
the movie made from your script is NOT your intent then do not give it
away. Hold on tight to it.

What is your concern? That a director and actors may interpret your script
differently than you did when you were writing? Or is it something you
aren't saying?

I've never given away a script. However...

If you hold on to them they will never see the light of day. If you
allow a filmmaker to make one your scripts that will fulfill its intended
destiny - being made into a movie. Maybe it won't be exactly as you
see it in your head but you will see how others see it.

I see no harm in that. That is why scripts are written, is it not? If seeing
the movie made from your script is NOT your intent then do not give it
away. Hold on tight to it.

What is your concern? That a director and actors may interpret your script
differently than you did when you were writing? Or is it something you
aren't saying?

It's mainly that when I write something I see it in a very particular way, if I give it away then it may be done completely against what I was thinking, which in turn could end up looking bad for me.

I want my scripts to live up to their full potential, anything else would be a real disappointment to me.

I would keep them. Someday, suddenly one of them might be terribly relevant to society or some event that happened, or whatever. Or perhaps, after they've aged a bit, a new angle or twist might dawn on you, a way to take an OK script and make it brilliant.

Keep them. And never feel bad about the time invested. PHD graduates don't get to sell all the papers they wrote. In fact, they're practically worthless to most people. Yet each paper written helped that student learn and grow. Just as your scripts helped you, if nothing else, become a better screenwriter for the next project you might tackle down the road.

Keep them. Unless some great new, well connected director is dying for one and simply can't put together enough money to buy them.

It's mainly that when I write something I see it in a very particular way, if I give it away then it may be done completely against what I was thinking, which in turn could end up looking bad for me.

I want my scripts to live up to their full potential, anything else would be a real disappointment to me.
That's fair. In your case you would be much better off never selling
or giving away your scripts. Keep them until you are ready to make
them yourself.

Trouble letting go of scripts.....

Why don't you just advertise as 'free to the right person/production company'? That way you can get to know who will be making it and make sure that they have the same ideas as you and won't ruin your vision. You can collaborate. :yes:

Collaboration could be good, what about if I gave scripts away and became a producer on the projects? That way I could keep tabs on the project and it's direction, or would that not be a good idea?

Why don't you just advertise as 'free to the right person/production company'? That way you can get to know who will be making it and make sure that they have the same ideas as you and won't ruin your vision. You can collaborate. :yes:

Stephen King did this with The Dark Tower series (that sadly every film maker who tried has failed to get past the planning stage, it is rather daunting! haha) He sold the rights for $19, a number (19) that plays a very key part in the lore of the world and the story itself. To me that was possibly the coolest thing ever!

He also lets students use some of his stories for free, though that's another matter entirely.

Collaboration could be good, what about if I gave scripts away and became a producer on the projects? That way I could keep tabs on the project and it's direction, or would that not be a good idea?
That would be a fine idea. If you can find a director who needs a
producer and a script and is willing to to maintain your view vision
then this would be an excellent option.

How about giving it a shot? Put out notices that you are looking
for a director for a script that you will produce. Depending on
where the money to make it comes from, I would be interested
in directing a project like that. A "work-for-hire" so to speak. You
hold all creative control and the director works to make YOUR
vision of the script come alive.

In that case, you wouldn't be giving away your script. You would
be "hiring" someone to make the film the way YOU want it made.
You've sparked MY interest...

Just because I love to play devils advocate, or maybe I'm just plain ornery and contrarian...

It will NEVER EVER come out exactly the way you see it in your head. There will always be compromises, the budget being the primary culprit. And actors who love to act, not just be a puppet who does exactly what you wish them to.

Now, on the flip side, I love different interpretations. I come from a music background, and one song can be interpreted in many different ways. We have, to a large degree, moved past the "Tin Pan Alley" mind-set of songwriters whose only job was to write a great song and let the singer/artist interpret the song in his/her own way. What always strikes me is how some songs cannot stray from the original version, and others can diverge by light-years.

I've always loved albums by people who did nothing but write songs for others for many years finally recording their own work - very instructive.

So let others do your scripts as they see them. Sure it's frustrating and even maddening. It's all a part of getting your name out there. Hopefully you'll get to do a few of your own scripts the way you see them.

Seconding Alcove's advice, from the same perspective (and as someone who has reinterpreted a few songs of my own a few different ways).

Take your best two scripts. Set one aside that you want to do yourself. Get the other made, any way you can. Sell, it give it away, get your name out there. But make sure you do it with a script that you really, REALLY believe in.

If you're worried about looking bad as a writer because the director did a horrible job with the film, just make sure you get a look at the final cut. If it sucks, use a pen name, if it's great use your own name.

You should professionally get over this specific issue immediately.

Even if you were the writer and director it it wouldn't come out the way you had imagined.
These aren't hamburgers you're making where you squirt on just the "right" amount of ketchup and mustard, and get the white onion instead of purple onion rings with sliced sweet pickes instead of dill.

When you're writing you have to apprach this like a textile deigner. There's no telling WTH people are going to do with your fabic, but it will always have your stamp on it no matter how they cut it.

Scripts are like children: You don't get to pick and choose how they will turn out, you just help them be the best they can.

Last edited:
Trouble letting go of scripts.....

Stephen King sold the rights to his novella <i>Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption</i> for a dollar to Frank Darabont, who also directed it. Wow! Such an awesome movie.:lol:

Thanks for the replies guys. Directorik, I'm glad I've got your interest, at the moment I think I want to give away a few short film scripts, see how that goes and then addvance from there.

If I post the loglines and approximate lengths then anyone that is interested can just message me about the scripts.

Beetroot: A suicide bomber meets some very unexpected resistance in a small shop in the form of Mike, an African-American on holiday in England. He's having a bad time and isn't going to let this make it worse.

Genre: Comedy
Time: 4 - 5 Minutes

My Soul To Take: Mary is a struggling middle aged woman who just can't take it anymore, she turns to god in her time of need and things get better. Is it a miracle or something much, much darker?

Genre: Thriller
Time: 10 - 15 Minutes

Consequence: A story of two boys filming in an abandoned building, when they come across a potential murder they make a decision that changes all their lives forever.

Genre: Thriller
Time: 5 - 7 Minutes

Very nice!

So now that you have sold a script how do you feel about
letting go? Or did you not have to let go? Is the movie
being made exactly as you wrote it?

Very nice!

So now that you have sold a script how do you feel about
letting go? Or did you not have to let go? Is the movie
being made exactly as you wrote it?

Thank you :)

I actually didn't feel anywhere near as bad as I thought I would, it was quite easy, the guy I sold it to was very nice and easy to talk to.

Even though I now have to let one of my favourite scripts go and spread it's wings, I'm happy with it.

Thanks again for all the advice :)

Back