• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Triggerstreet

Has anyone ever used this website for their screenplays?

I used it a while back for my scripts but they weren't too helpful... anyone else have an opinion about it?

I have a couple of scripts up there, just for curiosity's sake, rather than expecting any kind of concrete info. While it's mainly amateurs responding, if most of your reviews target a few specific factors you can get a general idea where you should concentrate your efforts.

People are as helpful there as you are...meaning it's an active community. You have to be active to be noticed. I don't spend half as much time there as i did (keep meaning to), but when I was reviewing quite a bit, my uploads were always reviewed when assigned. It's great for other reasons too, like the busy forums and option to browse and read. It has pros and cons like anything else, but i've met some great people and read some great works there.

You're so right, danjama. I was quite active there for a
while and am still in touch with some of the active members.
The more you participate the more your script are read. As
with any of the peer review sites there are two primary issues:

ONE - it's peer to peer. Unproduced writers reviewing scripts
for free. Some are good reviewers, most take the opportunity
to demonstrate what they have read in books and on line.

TWO - there are far more writers wanting their script read than
reviewers wanting to read scripts.

I made some great friends there too. And most people are at least likeable.

As you say directorik, there are some good reviewers. But one thing to remember about being a member there, is that reviewing scripts is as helpful to you as it is to the other guy. Critically breaking down a screenplay is a great way to learn what works and what doesn't. The more you do it, the more familiar the good and the bad feel. Reviewing improves your writing as much as anything else you can do to improve it.

Hmmm....

SUBMISSIONS

Any material (other than the Material [as defined and more fully addressed in the Triggerstreet Screenplay Forum Participation Agreement]) that you transmit to us or post anywhere on the Site or through the Services, including, without limitation, the Shorts, may be used by TSCI throughout the world in perpetuity for any purpose whatsoever, including, but not limited to, reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, posting and sublicensing, and may be modified to enable or complement any such use; it being agreed that such uses may include, without limitation, display on the Anheuser Busch family of websites and inclusion on videodiscs prepared by CustomFlix Labs, Inc.

You shall not post, send or otherwise make us aware of any creative materials of any kind, apart from your submissions, if any, submitted in connection with a TSCI sponsored festival, contest or the Screenplay Forum section of the Site, such as stories or character ideas, titles, screenplays, songs, or original artwork (collectively, "unsolicited submissions"), unless you agree to our use thereof as described hereinabove. If you send us any unsolicited submissions despite your foregoing obligation not to do so, we take no responsibility and will have no liability with respect to the use by TSCI or any third party of such unsolicited submissions or any portion thereof. The TSCI Parties shall not be liable for any use or disclosure of any unsolicited submissions. By sending us unsolicited submissions you release, waive any claims with regard to, and hold harmless the TSCI Parties from and against any and all claims of any kind that are or could be asserted with respect to any use, license, sublicense, assignment, reproduction, distribution, creation of derivative works of, public performances, public display, digital performances, sales, offers, and other uses of any kind of such unsolicited submissions in any media now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose whatsoever. TSCI expressly reserves the right to remove any submissions or postings on the Site at any time for any reason.

PROCEDURE FOR MAKING CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

If you believe that your material has been copied and is accessible on the Site in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, you may notify TSCI at inquiries@triggerstreet.com by providing our copyright agent with the following information:

1. The electronic or physical signature of the owner of the copyright or the person authorized to act on the owner's behalf;

2. A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed and a description of the infringing activity;

3. Identification of the location where the original or an authorized copy of the copyrighted work exists, for example the URL of the website where it is posted or the name of the book in which it has been published;

4. Identification of the URL or other specific location on this site where the material that you claim is infringing is located; you must include enough information to allow us to locate the material;

5. Your name, address, telephone number, and email address; and

6. A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and

7. A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.

6. How can I protect my screenplay?
It is strongly recommended that a member protect their screenplay by registering it with the Writers Guild of America, which can be done on-line at http://www.wga.org. You may also register it with the US Copyright Office through standard mail (find details at http://www.copyright.gov).

23. What am I agreeing to by uploading my screenplay?
In the event your screenplay is rated as a Site Favorite, you agree to negotiate in good faith exclusively with TriggerStreet.com for the rights to develop and produce your screenplay if TriggerStreet wishes to produce the material. These good faith negotiations shall be for not less than ninety (90) days from the date your screenplay is first posted in the Site Favorites.

24. What happens if my screenplay makes it into the SITE FAVORITES?
When a member's screenplay makes it into the SITE FAVORITES, TriggerStreet.com has first look option to your screenplay for a period of no less than ninety (90) days should we want to pursue your screenplay for development to be negotiated in good faith. The 90-day period begins on the date your screenplay is first listed as a SITE FAVORITE. More detailed information may be found in the Screenplay Participation Agreement, which members initial and agree to prior to uploading screenplays.

Also, once a screenplay has been listed as a SITE FAVORITE at least once, it becomes eligible for Affirm Voting and for selection as a Screenplay of the Month nominee.

Interesting.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it works in India, but in the USA a work is automatically copyrighted the moment the author puts pen to paper. No further registration of the work is required in order to upload it to TS.

Don't trust that.

If you ever want SAG actors in a production, you have to give SAG the Copyright Registration number of your script.

If you want to sell screenplays with Inktip.com, you have to supply Inktip.com with either a WGA number, or a Copyright Registration number before you can upload a script. Inktip imposes this requirement to protect writers.

So, you're better off with the document.

Don't trust that.

If you ever want SAG actors in a production, you have to give SAG the Copyright Registration number of your script.

If you want to sell screenplays with Inktip.com, you have to supply Inktip.com with either a WGA number, or a Copyright Registration number before you can upload a script. Inktip imposes this requirement to protect writers.

So, you're better off with the document.

Excuse me. He asked about Triggerstreet, not SAG productions or InkTip. You're free to distrust what I wrote, but it doesn't make it any less true.

And FYI, I'm represented as a screenwriter in Los Angeles. My scripts have been considered by 5 major studios. Not a single one has ever been registered with the US Copyright Office or the Writers Guild. You can argue the point with my manager, if you wish.

Last edited:
Excuse me. He asked about Triggerstreet, not SAG productions or InkTip. You're free to mistrust what I wrote, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Well, even Triggerstreet recommends (line item 6 from the submissions FAQ, quoted above) that the script be registered to protect one's self. You essentially sign away any liability on their part and also give them first option rights (90 days) in some cases. That's what I found interesting.

Yes, but it is not required. If you're posting your work on TS, you're essentially offering it to the whole world. TS members are anonymous, so whether it's registered or not you're risking theft or plagiarism with little recourse. Caveat emptor.

Back