• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Transfering mini dvd's to regular size

My camcorder uses the mini's which hold up to 30mins of film in each mini dvd. Aside from taking them to a camera store is there a device I can purchase that can transfer them to regular size dvd?
My intent is to do a trial documentary film on myself as part a learning tool for filming. I am currently trying to collect as much film data as possible. When it comes time I want to edit these 30min mini's into a film and incorporate better sound and music (if possible - working with a cheap sony). The overall intent is to creat a 30min short docufilm on what I do for a living on one normal size dvd.

This can easily be done with Sony Vegas Platinum Studio. You simply import the DVD files from the mini DVD, then render it out and send it to DVD Architect, and viola, you have yourself a full sized DVD.

I don't know about the mpg2 recording. I bought the camera three years ago and no longer have the info on the camera. To be frank, I know little of modern technology. The last time I did any kind of editing, filming and storytelling was in the 80's by using a giant video recorder and two vcr's.

As for the Sony Vegas system, I looked that up..it's ad states it has 5.1 surround sound...I don't know what the means in the scheme of things. One of biggest pet peeves in filming is having crappy sound. I want vibrant sound - not the echoing sound that so many cheap movies (which is what this is) have.
I don't like sound that has a lot of 'fuzzing' in it...something that is crisp and clear is what I am hoping for...so overall what does 5.1 mean?

Thanks.

So the question went from mini dvd's to sound.

Yes, this is one that records straight to mpeg2. All dvd cameras are.

They are a nightmare for editing...

5.1 surround sound means just that, you can edit your audio to place elements in 3d space around the viewer, so that when it is viewed on a system that supports surround sound, the audio will come from where you want it to. This is NOT going to help you get better sounding audio in general. If your audio quality is lacking, you are probably not using a good external mic. If you intend to dub audio in later, that is less of an issue but you'll still need a nice mic and quiet area to do your recording. I highly suggest investing in a nice large diaphragm condenser mic & preamp for voice over work, and a good shotgun & boom or lav mic, and a audio interface for the camera (like a beachtek)

Of course prior to investing in all of that, a camera that records to a more edit friendly format would be a big bonus. These mini-dvd camcorders were intended for those people making home movies who wanted to be able to play them back in their dvd player, without editing, etc.. The majority of people don't edit home movies (that's a big part of the reason that the majority of home movies are highly unwatchable, besides the fact that not many people are likely to care about aunt Bessie's 42nd birthday much to want to relive it...)

One of biggest pet peeves in filming is having crappy sound. I want vibrant sound - not the echoing sound that so many cheap movies (which is what this is) have.
I don't like sound that has a lot of 'fuzzing' in it...something that is crisp and clear is what I am hoping for...so overall what does 5.1 mean?

Thanks.

So the question went from mini dvd's to sound.
The editing software isn't what give you vibrant sound.

That echoing sound that so many cheap movies have is because
the person is using the on board mic. To get the crisp and clear
audio you are looking for you need a good mic that is held close
to the person speaking.

The further away the mic is from the actors, the higher the volume
needs to be. The higher the volume, the more “noise” you get.
Your goal is to have a very high signal to noise ratio - more signal
(the dialogue) less noise (the background). Even a very good,
expensive Sennheiser mounted on the camera will pick up a lot
of background ambiance because it’s far away from the actors.

Overall 5.1 means you will have three different set of audio in the
final product.

1 - the center speaker. A mono track with the dialog.

2 and 3 - the side speakers. A stereo track (left and right) with sound
effects and music.

4 and 5 - the rear speakers. A stereo track (left and right) with sound
effects and ambience.

That is all done in post production.

Overall 5.1 means you will have three different set of audio in the
final product.

1 - the center speaker. A mono track with the dialog.

2 and 3 - the side speakers. A stereo track (left and right) with sound
effects and music.

4 and 5 - the rear speakers. A stereo track (left and right) with sound
effects and ambience.

That is all done in post production.
And the .1 is the subwoofer. ;)

Thanks all....

So what sort of camera would be a good start for me? Something that is easy to edit and a general good camera for the money.
I don't want to waste my time filming from this camera if it is going to give me issues later on. I would rather just find a decent one to start with from the onset.

Back