Transcoding DSLR

I'm using MPEG Streamclip to transcode my DSLR clips to ProRes 422.

What should I set the QUALITY at?

Is there anything else I should change before exporting?

I tried it at 100% quality and it worked great in Final Cut. But a 1 minute clip was almost 2 gbs. So, 100% would need a great amount of memory.

I agree with wheatgrinder. 422 was designed to give great results with those file sizes. Memory is fairly cheap, but you've identified the weak link in your workflow. It's not the answer you were probably looking for, but smaller files = less quality these days.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I have a ton of memory. The footage is on one of those Terabyte HDs. But, dang is it going to need a lot.

To save room and time. I might go through all the footage, choose the takes I like, and just transcode them.

The originals seem to play okay on QT.

I have about 2 hours worth of shots for 4 minutes in the movie.

The orginals are nice and small, I archive those off to another disk. Only transcode what you think you need, but you can go back and transcode the others if needed..

shoot, your ratio of 1 hour to 2 mins of finished film is pretty good..

Last edited:
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I have a ton of memory. The footage is on one of those Terabyte HDs. But, dang is it going to need a lot.

To save room and time. I might go through all the footage, choose the takes I like, and just transcode them.

The originals seem to play okay on QT.

I have about 2 hours worth of shots for 4 minutes in the movie.

That's what I do; label the best takes with descriptions and only transcode those. They have to be described at some point.

CamVader hints at the workflow fail in DSLR footage.. gone are the days you were FORCED to log footage. When Id import from DV TAPE Id have to WATCH every frame as it imported (or rather I had the opportunity to) I had a much better sense of what I actualy recorded before I started editing...
Now I just drop the footage directly from the camera, right into the time line. Thus the first good enough looking shot makes it into the edit, I might not even KNOW i have a batter take.. lol..

CamVader hints at the workflow fail in DSLR footage.. gone are the days you were FORCED to log footage. When Id import from DV TAPE Id have to WATCH every frame as it imported (or rather I had the opportunity to) I had a much better sense of what I actualy recorded before I started editing...
Now I just drop the footage directly from the camera, right into the time line. Thus the first good enough looking shot makes it into the edit, I might not even KNOW i have a batter take.. lol..

Why you talking crazy? Nothing has changed for me. I used to watch all the footage, as it was digitizing. Now I watch all the footage because I want to watch all the footage. :weird:

I popped out Compressor 3 and I'm using that. It's easier as there aren't really any settings to change. I'm creating ProRes 422 with no (HQ) or (LT).

The way it breaks down

Original is 363mb
ProRes 422 (LT) is 563mb
ProRes 422 is 951mb This is what I'll be using.
ProRes 422 (HQ) 1.5 gig. Supposedly this is hard to work with, unless you have top of the line equipment.

It's a major difference. But, I put the ProRes on the timeline and there were no dropped frames, and it just played. So, I'm good.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul: Everything I've ever done has been fairly easy. I'm not big into FX. I don't even own After Effects. Us Sinners was logged into Final Cut, edited in Final Cut, and exported in Final Cut. It's the only program I ever used. So, if MPEG Streamclip or Compressor allow me in and out points, I don't know. It's too much of a hassle for me to try and find out. I've had this footage for about 2 weeks now, and I've been editing it incorrectly with the (LT). I spend more time waiting for the footage to render then to actually editing. It's frustrating. Since I do this for enjoyment, I usually end up logging off instead of working.

Wheat: Always look for the best shot. With this shoot, I'm keeping a piece of paper and jotting down the things I like. I usually have it in my mind (yeah really). But, this is going to be a tough shoot, so paper and pen will help.

Back