Top 5 sci-fi shows?

Man, you guys are babes in arms.

Lost in Space: "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
My Favorite Martian
Outer Limits
The Thunderbirds

Ok, I almost put Lost in Space on my list just because it is such a classic. But when I thought about it, I decided against. Mainly for the reason that I have never enjoyed one since I was a little kid.

And how come no one has mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Yeah, my bad with the Hercules mention. :( I was thinking about that, and I wonder if there have even been enough fantasy TV shows to put together a respectable top five fantasy list.

?

hmm

Well there actually have been quite a lot of them, if you think about it. Fantasy has a lot of room for crossover. For example, I think LOST is mainly sci-fi, but you could also say there are a lot of fantasy elements to it.

Then you have all of the vampire genre going back to Buffy and that one with the three witches. (Not that I would put these in my personal top 5 by far). And even going back a long while you have Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie.

Heroes is another modern fantasy (I would call superheroes a fantasy unless it's like X-Men or the Bionic Man, ie: caused by science somehow).

My top 5:
1. True Blood
2. LOST
3. Bewitched
4. Hercules
5. Sabrina the Teenage Witch (:P)

Speaking of "Lost", now that we know how it ends, is it fair to call it religious parable?

There were moments when I was afraid that they were going to go in that direction. And I'm sure if you were a very religious person, you would see it as a parable.

I found it to be a bit more of a morality play where good and bad were not well defined (like life), or at least not obvious.

They were very careful, especially in the end, not to say 'heaven' or 'hell' or 'purgatory.' But there was a clear theme of if you hadn't worked out your shit from life, you couldn't 'move on.'

I've read some bloggers that seem to think it employed the Bardos mythology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardo

That works for me. But obviously they intentionally made it so that people could fit it to their particular beliefs or non-beliefs. Very smart of them, IYAM.

Hmm. I've never seen it. And, I'm not religious. I just heard about it. Oddly enough, from a religious guy. So, I guess what you're saying makes sense.

what was so horrible about it? Was it the the fact that you could tie things in from every ep and make sense of what's going on? Was it that they used real science in the writing?

I know a lot of people who know care for B5 but they never really good a full explanation and that's what I'm looking for, can you give me one?

LOL "Isn't it obvious, the horrible writing." That sounds like Sheldon from The big bang Theory

Oh my gosh, you're so right, of course, that there's been lots of fantasy!

I haven't watched much of Lost, yet.

Top 5 Fantasy
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I worship at the altar of Joss Whedan!)
Hercules
Bewitched
Twilight Zone
Fantasy Island

Runner Ups
Angel
I Dream of Genie
For a while I was hooked on Smallville --great show, but haven't kept up with it due to scheduling.

I don't know if shows like Fantasy Island and Genie would stand the test of time, if I watched them now, though.

Supernatural isn't so bad, either. I've seen a bit of The Legend of the Seeker. I'm not too sure of its storyline, etc, but they do seem to have sexy down, alright (the beautiful people, the beautiful people!).

I had to google fantasy tv so I knew the pool I was picking from. I found this handy list on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fantasy_television_programs

...and this one for Sci-Fi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science_fiction_television_programs#Complete_alphabetical_listing_of_science_fiction_television_programs
This is a long list!

Looking through these lists it's clear there's disagreement(?) about which genre some shows belong too.

Ooo, I know that when I was a kid I just loved Planet of the Apes!

Last edited:
what was so horrible about it? Was it the the fact that you could tie things in from every ep and make sense of what's going on? Was it that they used real science in the writing?

I know a lot of people who know care for B5 but they never really good a full explanation and that's what I'm looking for, can you give me one?

LOL "Isn't it obvious, the horrible writing." That sounds like Sheldon from The big bang Theory

Ok, recall the first episodes ending, the dialogue between Ivana and that psychic chick. Yeah, that really blew.

I saw Serenity.

The ending disturbed me. How the lady on TV tried to commit suicide but the zombie people got to her before she pulled the trigger. Awful.

You should have checked out the show, it was a lot better than it got credit for. Nothing amazing, but Nathan Fillion does a pretty good job. I also loved him in Castle.

Back