top-list Top 5 End of the World films

One of our writers posted an article on their top 5 'End of the World' films.

"Like most guys, I geek out on zombies, anything that involves a cool weapon, and of course – apocalypse movies. Nothing seems cooler then the thought of the world actually ending that would give us the chance to live life on the edge at all times; and probably shit ourselves in the process.

For all my fellow dudes out there who want to get a glimpse at what the apocalypse may be like, in a film that’s worth watching again and again; here are my top 5 end of the world films:"

Read the full post:

http://www.theurbanartproject.com/blog/2012/01/25/top-5-end-of-the-world-movies/

Let us know your top 5!

Fun article! Always been fond of post-apocalyptic films myself...even the bad ones (Damnation Alley, we're looking at you. Trying not to, but we are). Surprised to not see The Road Warrior on the list. I'm fond of all the Mad Max films, but the second really captured what an after-the-end film should be.

I'd also mention the oft-overlooked Land of the Dead. Far from the best in Romero's series, but it really explores a society after the zombie apocalypse. Interesting film (with lots of in-jokes that only someone living in Pittsburgh would get), though without the intensity of Night, Dawn or Day.

I wasn't a fan of 28 days later overall, but the beginning, with the main character alone in London set to a Godspeed You Black Emperor song is just beyond awesome!

Oh, and if you can take a bit of dated film and cheese, Logan's Run is more interesting than it gets credit for.

Yes, there are many end of the world films that I love that arnt on the list, but that would be a long list!

'Time of the Wolf' is a very good one too.

In no particular order I can come up with a top three, but need to see more:

Meloncholia
Knowing (yes, I said Knowing!)
Planet of the Apes (original)

Oh, man, Logan's Run and Omega Man are both great mentions. I love post-apocalyptic films too.

A top five? Oh, that's tough. And I'm sure to forget some or many of the possibilities.

I'd have to put Children of Men [1] at the top, 'cause I love that film. It's just a brilliant film. Alfonso Cuarón is brilliant.

Sunshine is okay, but sort of too much of a clone of Event Horizon.

I have yet to see The Blindness.

Probably Road Warrior ought to be [2].

Maybe Beyond Thunderdome should be [3].

I might give [4] to Omega Man.

Then. Hmmm. I don't know. Maybe Logan's Run should get [5]? Oh, crap, they're remaking that one...um, I mean, oh, they're remaking that one (2014).

But gosh, there are plenty more post-apocalyptic films, aren't there? What are they?

Shouldn't Terminator 4 qualify? I like that one a lot. I might put that in the top five.

I've already posted how Damnation Alley traumatized me when I was a kid. =P

Tank Girl. What I've seen of that (I haven't seen the whole thing) I thought was fairly entertaining.

The Road. I'm still not sure how I feel about that one. In any case, it's a well made film, isn't it? I feel like I should read the book.

How about Reign of Fire? I think that one's fairly entertaining too. Matthew McConaughey largely steals the show. As well as Isabella Scorupco.

I'm sorry to say that the made for TV The Stand didn't appeal to me, what I saw of it, that is. But I sure did like the book.

And Pandorum. I like that one quite a bit.

And, who could forget The Last Man on Earth. It has it's charm. I didn't care too much for I am Legend, though.

I thought Stake Land was pretty good.

There must be more.

And what about Battlestar Galactica? The new one. Does that qualify? Love that show.

Steel Dawn. Been a long, long time, but I think I remember it being not too bad.

A Boy and His Dog. Yeah, I barely remember that one.

I didn't love The Book of Eli. It was okay.

Last edited:
"On The Beach" with Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner.

Of all the ones mentioned, this one is the most likely to unfold as shown in the film.

oh wow! great mentions guys! The last man on earth & omega man I both love.

I think I will get the writer and maybe 2 others to do a follow up of the top 10 or 20, there are so many good ones.

Maybe different categories? based on genre? or age?

hmmm.

This is a great genre with lots of different types of movies within it (along with lots of differing, yet very strong opinions between fans), which has a lot to do with the fact that it's so mysterious. That "unknown" factor keeps almost every new attempt interesting.

How about Solyent Green?? and i agree with orginal Planet of the Apes as well....whats with Heston and all the end of the world movies he did????

Last edited:
Back