top-list Top 10 Documentaries on Making Movies

[*]Double Dare - A comparison documentary on two stuntwomen, one a legend of the past and another up and coming. It inadvertantly enveloped the beginning of Tarantino's KILL BILL because he hired the latter, Zoe Bell to double for Uma Thurman during this doc.

Just watched this tonight and it was amazing. Seriously, this is a beautiful movie demonstrating an gender bias, but not rubbing your nose in it.

Just bought and watched a couple more STARZ ENCORE documentaries.

FANTASTIC FLESH on horror make up FX and FACE IS FAMILIAR on character actors, which was truly amazing and cool.

Great... thanks for all those titles i have never heard of...

i have 2 i like to watch. They are not documentaries, but teaching dvd's...

2 day film school, with Dov, s-s simens, tells you how tough it is to get started. But gives you good tips and pointers.
Action cut film school, with Guy magar. He also tells you about how to film, and really break down how to shoot the scenes from one of his movies.

"Empire of Dreams" is what got me into filmmaking.

It hasn't been released yet, but I really really love the documentary on ILM called ILM:CREATING THE IMPOSSIBLE. It covers solely the FX company and how they evolved over the years into something amazing. How PIXAR got started there and where all the best FX guys began. It aired on ENCORE.

It hasn't been released yet, but I really really love the documentary on ILM called ILM:CREATING THE IMPOSSIBLE. It covers solely the FX company and how they evolved over the years into something amazing. How PIXAR got started there and where all the best FX guys began. It aired on ENCORE.

Could you give me a heads up when it's released? I've ordered the documentary, "Hearts of Darkness" on the filming of "Apocalypse Now", and I'd like to get this one too. Thanks.

I have a bunch of them (everything Rodriguez has ever done has great docs associated with it -- most are online at youtube, 10 minute film schools)... but I'm going to recommend 2:

--So, perhaps not directly docs, but very insightful and enlightening on the process of filmmaking.

The panic room box set -- very comprehensive BTS!
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow -- wonderful BTS stuff on it

Back