Too far ahead?

Hello, My names Russ, I'm a long time browser, first time poster from Kent in the UK.

I've searched the forums and found a similar question but the op had slightly different circumstances so I was hoping you chaps(and chapesses) could help.

Basically, I'm looking to make my first feature. I've got the script sorted, the budget is in place and I've got some of the locations. there are three main lead characters and a number of secondary characters.

Initially, I'm looking to shoot at the begining of July, in the summer holidays. This is mainly due to one of my main actresses being at school, also i want to plan everything as much as i can as its my first feature, i want to at least look like i know what i'm doing!

Anyway, I'm having trouble getting the other actors. A few really good ones have read the script and said they loved it, and I'm currentlly in talks with... she's not a 'name' but she's done prime time tv here in the uk and she'd be literally perfect for the other female lead role but her agent wont let her sign on because its too far ahead.

I don't want her because shes slightly famous, i want her because shes a really good actress and she's really enthusiastic about it. plus she said she'll do it for free :yes:

so, basically ive got a few options:
wait till july and hope she can do it,
move the start date up to maybe easter holidays(spring break) if the other actress is free,
or
cast someone else who's definitely free in july
or cast someone else for the other female role if my younger actress can't do easter.

the film is essentially about the younger actress i've already got, the character/actress is... unique. (she has to be a good singer, be REALLY innocent looking and really pretty, like an angel, if that makes sense- there's a twist at the end, she turns out to be evil)
She'd be really hard to recast, i've looked and there's nobody really that fits but on the flip side i'd rather not get someone else for the other female lead as the slightly famous actress would give me some 'cred' i suppose.

I suppose i'm worried if i move the start date closer I wont have enough time to prepare as much as id like(i work 60+ hours per week in my regular job so getting things done is tough) or that i might lose the younger actress and have a nightmare trying to find another one who could pull it off.

Is july too far ahead? my reason for starting casting now was to give the actors fair warning sort of thing. i know now is somewhat of a quiet time for acting work. was that a stupid idea?

or
Are the actors being unreasonable not committing yet? should I just chill out a bit? Help!!

Cheers

Russ.

Id say give someone else a chance to make your film come true, dont wait for something thats not guaranteed.

unless it was a major star then maybe id take the risk otherwise theres plenty more fish in the sea.

Hi Rus,

Six months of pre-production isn't a great deal, but if you've got most of it in place and it's possible to shoot in Easter then maybe that can work. The important decision that you need to make, as producer, is to set a production start date and stick to that. If people drop out once that date is confirmed then so be it, you just need to organise as much as you can to work with that date in mind.

Are you planning on shooting in Kent? Making films in London, I've had no difficulty casting actors. Even if you're not willing to pay, you should be able to get someone who fits your criteria- although you'll need to pay their train fares to Kent and back. I genuinely wouldn't worry about losing an actress as this point, because there is time to recast and there are hundreds, nay thousands, of willing actors in the capital, which, at worst, is an hour's train ride away.

wow, quick replies! cheers.

Zensteve, thats probably more like it. if i'm honest, Im more than happy to pay her. (not much, granted but her agent would at least get 10% of something)

Nick, yeah i'm shooting in kent but i'm looking at some actors in london. my budget isnt massive but i'm planning to put them up in a travelodge or something for the shoot (12-14 days) if i cast anyone from london or further affield.

It's kind of catch 22 in my mind. there's a few outside scenes that would work better in winter/spring because the film is quite.... bleak. BUT if i shoot in the summer holidays i've got longer to prepare- the younger actress hasnt acted on camera before(she's only done theatre stuff and is a bit... not nervous but 'aware' of the camera) i was planning to just hang out with her a few weekends and just film her doing stuff, get her used to being on camera, BUT i kinda want to get it going haha.

i'm just not sure what is best for the project. ive put most of my savings into it and i might not get chance to make another feature anytime soon.

wow, quick replies! cheers.

Zensteve, thats probably more like it. if i'm honest, Im more than happy to pay her. (not much, granted but her agent would at least get 10% of something)

Nick, yeah i'm shooting in kent but i'm looking at some actors in london. my budget isnt massive but i'm planning to put them up in a travelodge or something for the shoot (12-14 days) if i cast anyone from london or further affield.

It's kind of catch 22 in my mind. there's a few outside scenes that would work better in winter/spring because the film is quite.... bleak. BUT if i shoot in the summer holidays i've got longer to prepare- the younger actress hasnt acted on camera before(she's only done theatre stuff and is a bit... not nervous but 'aware' of the camera) i was planning to just hang out with her a few weekends and just film her doing stuff, get her used to being on camera, BUT i kinda want to get it going haha.

i'm just not sure what is best for the project. ive put most of my savings into it and i might not get chance to make another feature anytime soon.

what kind of actors are you looking for? i use to be/still am an actor... *cough cough* shameless self promotion

what kind of actors are you looking for? i use to be/still am an actor... *cough cough* shameless self promotion

HAHA. it's a crime drama but i absolutely 100% DO NOT want it to be a Danny Dyer/cockney gangster/geezer type one.

There are three main leads. two girls (17ish, & 14ish) who both look really innocent/cute/sweet and a cool looking dude (30s) there's a kind of love triangle so they've all got to be hot :yes: and because of the nature of it i can't/don't want to cast anyone under sixteen for the younger girl. there's no nudity or anything but... the subject matter is quite risque. the actress ive got is cool with it and so are her parents.

the other characters are basically whoever I like at the time, theres no set look/age as such.

HAHA. it's a crime drama but i absolutely 100% DO NOT want it to be a Danny Dyer/cockney gangster/geezer type one.

There are three main leads. two girls (17ish, & 14ish) who both look really innocent/cute/sweet and a cool looking dude (30s) there's a kind of love triangle so they've all got to be hot :yes: and because of the nature of it i can't/don't want to cast anyone under sixteen for the younger girl. there's no nudity or anything but... the subject matter is quite risque. the actress ive got is cool with it and so are her parents.

the other characters are basically whoever I like at the time, theres no set look/age as such.

oh not for me then, the misses would cut my balls off before i even left, leaving my acting face in a rather akward position...

Back