Too early for casting?

I plan on shooting my next feature this September, and I kind of want to cast the lead right now. The only downside I can think of is that their plans might change, so maybe it's pointless?

What do you think? Good idea, bad idea, doesn't matter?

I've been thinking about the same thing (although I'm hoping to film in November, December, or January). My thought, especially if you're looking to hire any kind of name talent, is to book them now so that they haven't committed to another project by the time you get around talking to them. Especially if this is a paid job.

I'm waiting to hear back on how my short has done in a couple of competitions I've entered (should hear by the end of the month) before approaching talent (if they do well, I'll mention it, which might help me get taken more seriously), but I plan to approach the guy I really want for one of the leads at the beginning of May.

Septmeber'll be here before you know it. Plus, by the time you advertise the casting call, hold it, do call backs, and actually make the offer (and get it accepted), it'll be summer.

We started casting in February for a July shoot, and that worked well.
Even with that much lead time, one of the leading roles was only cast a week before we started shooting.
So yes, i think it's good to start now ahead of a September shoot.

Yeah, booking them before they book something else was the same logic I was using. I think I'm probably gonna put out a casting call.
A paying gig?

What if....

...the actor agrees to work for you for 2 weeks in Sept and
YOU can't get the project together? What if he turns down other
jobs and something beyond YOUR control keeps you from shooting
then.

...the actor agrees to work for you for your agreed upon price and
another bigger, better paying gig comes up? Do you hold him back?

Now if you are booking a "name" and they only have, say, 2 weeks
in Sept open and you sign a "pay or play" deal, that's different.

Last edited:
You don't have to book, but you can get them involved if they're interested. You can also start looking at the people you want to fill the roles,even if you don't audition them yet.

As long as they understand it's a low budget deal and you aren't shooting right now.

Cool, thanks for the advice, everybody. I've decided to go ahead with it, mostly for the reasons that Mara, Cameron and myself mentioned.

There's another reason that I failed to mention -- the lead role (the only one I'm really concerned about casting now) is for that of a college student, and there's a good chance that I might be casting an actual college student. In a month from now, many college students will be going home for the Summer, and I don't want to wait until they return, in the Fall, to start casting this role.

Kholi, you're correct to point out the fact that I don't need to book, and maybe just start feeling people out who are interested.

I think what I'll do is to address an issue that Rik pointed out -- when casting, I'm going to be straight-forward with them and let them know that if some big break or really huge opportunity arises, between now and then, that I won't hold them to their commitment. Truth be told, though, I won't be casting any "names", and for most of the people I'll be looking at, this movie is likely the closest thing they've got to a "big break", or whatever.

Thanks again!

Have you at least written your screenplay yet? I would not cast until you have written your screenplay, you want to be able to cast a lead that best fits your lead character. Also I agree with other points made. If you cast this early, things may end up changing with either of your schedules.

Have you at least written your screenplay yet? I would not cast until you have written your screenplay, you want to be able to cast a lead that best fits your lead character. Also I agree with other points made. If you cast this early, things may end up changing with either of your schedules.

Actually, I just started writing the script (within the last hour). The full story is outlined, and in fact it's one that's bounced around my head for years. I know exactly the characteristics I want in the character, but one of the reasons I like the idea of casting early is that I can partially write the character for the player.

Anyway, thanks for the input. :)

I think what I'll do is to address an issue that Rik pointed out -- when casting, I'm going to be straight-forward with them and let them know that if some big break or really huge opportunity arises, between now and then, that I won't hold them to their commitment.
And then what do YOU do if they drop out?

You have to cast again.

Maybe it's different elsewhere; I live in Los Angeles where there
are 100 actors for each role, so I understand if it's so difficult to
find actors that you need to start 5 months before the shoot. I
also know that sometimes keeping people interested for a long
period of time is difficult. It's exciting to get other interested in
your project as you first start it - you're excited, you want to share
that with other people.

Over the years I have learned to keep my enthusiasm and excitement
in check and cast a month before the shoot. I have found it much
easier to keep peoples interest and excitement for a month than for
four.

Do you all find it easier to keep actors on the hook for a long period
than to cast, say, one month before the shoot?

I had no trouble keeping people interested.

I did have a couple of cases in which the agents made demands in terms of scheduling or perks that either (a) I couldn't possibly accommodate or (b) I simply couldn't afford.

In those cases, I withdrew an offer that had been (orally) accepted, before any contracts were signed, and started again.

I had no trouble keeping people interested.

I did have a couple of cases in which the agents made demands in terms of scheduling or perks that either (a) I couldn't possibly accommodate or (b) I simply couldn't afford.

In those cases, I withdrew an offer that had been (orally) accepted, before any contracts were signed, and started again.

Echoing this experience. We casted three or four months in advance and didn't have any issue keeping actors interested and involved. Especially the two leads.

In fact, we're doing reshoots and pickups to finish up... and we started in october 2012. Only had one issue from one actor out of a cast of fifteen or so, the rest are still on board and ready to finish up at all costs.

four.

This would be exactly my sentiment. I understand that mlesemann and kholi have had different experiences. I'm sure you can keep everybody interested also cracker. But I think Rik's advice will make your life easier. Once all the other stuff is done,... cast, rehearse and shoot.

And then what do YOU do if they drop out?

You have to cast again.

Maybe it's different elsewhere; I live in Los Angeles where there
are 100 actors for each role, so I understand if it's so difficult to
find actors that you need to start 5 months before the shoot. I
also know that sometimes keeping people interested for a long
period of time is difficult. It's exciting to get other interested in
your project as you first start it - you're excited, you want to share
that with other people.

four.

Do you all find it easier to keep actors on the hook for a long period
than to cast, say, one month before the shoot?

Actually, I do think that is a very valid concern, and is the primary reason why I'll wait until later to cast the rest of the movie. But the lead actress -- I really want to lock her down.

It's definitely different in RVA, than in LA. I'm blessed to have an active arts community (for a small town) and especially blessed for a state university that has a truly excellent theater department. But feature films aren't exactly being made all the time out here.

I won't be casting a "name", I'll be hopefully casting someone who is eager to make themselves a "name", and in these neck of the woods, the lead role in a feature film is a pretty dang big opportunity. I think I can keep the lead actress interested and excited; the only potential pratfalls I worry about would be life-circumstance related -- i.e., what if they're super excited about the movie, but come fall, they've changed from one shitty job to another shitty job, and this new shitty job will simply not allow them to have a flexible schedule. I won't be paying her enough to drop her job, so in that hypothetical situation, she would simply be forced to skip production and keep her job.

That's my general theory, anyway. And thanks again, everybody, for offering insight. All of your advice has been helpful, and I think it's a good idea to cast the lead role now, and leave the rest for later. :)

I'm already starting to cast my next production and we still have to shoot pickup footage in May. Finding good actors takes lots of time. We're also going to use the major talent agency approach and only work with people who are known to people in my production. There are too many headaches out there.

I began casting February 26, 2010 for a project I filmed October 2, 2010 The entire original cast stayed on to the end of the shoot. I did replace one of the leads because of some differences that could not be resolved. Everyone said people will drop off the project if you cast them that early. I didn't lose anyone. Casting to me is #1 priority. Frankly, I'll take crappy lighting and a cheap camera with a great cast over great equipment with a mediocre cast. (As long as you can hear the audio and it's in focus of course) Best of luck.
I plan on shooting my next feature this September, and I kind of want to cast the lead right now. The only downside I can think of is that their plans might change, so maybe it's pointless?

What do you think? Good idea, bad idea, doesn't matter?

Back