• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

to use or not use laughs thats the question

on this comedy sitcom im trying to produce im trying to figure out how or should i put laughs in it. now i wont be shooting in front of a live audience but should i find a laugh track and insert that in? show my audience the finished product and record their laughs? or just not put any laughs in at all and let the audience laugh at it? please help. i cant do this without yalls help.

Do not use a laugh track!!!! If it's filmed in front of a live studio audience, that's one thing. And it's your choice(I personally still don't like being told when to laugh).

If it's not being shot in front of a studio audience, people will know it's a fake laugh track. It'll cheapen it a lot, IMO.

Let the comedy stand on it's own. If it's funny, people will laugh, if not... well then... time to re-write.

And let us know when it's finished, I love a good comedy (but it better be funny! ;)).

there is a reason laugh tracks exists.. they work. Laughing is a subconscious form of communication, just like a yawn can be passed from one person to another.. laughs are the same way... A laugh track can push a "hum thats funny" line to a "Laughing out loud" response. Its also de rigueur in the sitcom world.

As for "studio audience" check your premise Dreddy. See if you can get into a taping of a TV show with "live audience" first thing is that they will run the crowd through is "reactions." A guy comes out and says.. "OK everyone give us a big laugh, now how about a BOO, now be discusted. " on and on..

I sent my wife and kids to see a taping of "Americas Got Talent" They haven't looked at American Idol the same way since.. they get now that its 100% fabrication, reaction from the audience can be easily faked, replaced etc..

wheat,

To make a laugh track sound authentic you need an extremely realistic library, more than I'd say 20 different laughs from the same crowd, and some sort of audio editing program to do it with.

It takes time molding crowds to make it sound authentic, believe me.

I'd say leave it out or study up on some really good examples - Seinfeld is probably one of the best live audience comedy shows.. Did it have live laughs? I can't remember if it did or not.

I was suggesting that "live" is sorta true.. the laughs might be "live" even from the same taping, but they may not be in reaction to the actual "line" delivered. .. Its hard to imagine the producers NOT having that control over a hit show like Seinfeld..

Heck, Hire a stand up comedian for "entertainment" as you prepare for the shoot, capture the good laughs and use them where you want in your sitcom.. :)

Easy way to get some good real laughs might be to hire a comedian to do it for trade.. you get a stage and the video, we get the real laughs.. if the comedian sucks, no video.. :)

I'm not saying that laughs from a live audience are 'genuine.' I was mainly saying if you can't get a studio audience, don't do it or it will sound canned. Maybe I could have phrased it better.

ROC is right, it would take a lot of sophistication to make canned laughs sound real. It's probably not worth the effort when there is no need to have a laugh track. That is, unless you are trying to make people laugh at something that is not funny. Like they do with sitcoms.

That's why I also said it's my personal preference to not hear a laugh track. I don't like some producer telling me when something is funny or when to laugh. It's also really annoying because there are laughs at parts that are clearly not funny.

I have never laughed out loud at Everybody Loves Raymond or 2 1/2 Men, and those have laugh tracks. I have gotten hysterical watching The Office and 30 Rock, neither of which have laugh tracks. Funny is funny and it needs no aid.

Plus, training an audience to laugh at everything you do can have a bad effect on an actor.

Look at the Olson Twins.

Everything they did since they were babies they got applauded for and laughing responses from crowds.

This taught them doing stupid, random things gets them attention.

Hence, check out the most recent tabloids and you see them doing stupid, random things for attention.

:)

Sorry guys, I was just riffing on the viability..

How about a hybrid approach? Get some good real laughs in the can. When you tape the actual show, have a small audience, four or five folks, a group of folks that will natural react in real time and at the right beat.

In post mix the caned with the timing of the live and maybe you got something better than the sum of its parts..

Heck, you could SHOW the finished film to a live audience, then tape the laughs, then add the canned..

wheat,

Those are awesome ideas and would totally work on a proper sound stage and with a budget.

I think we're getting a bit complicated for the OP - as far as it sounds like.

Regarding the audio, pouring Diet Coke on top of Captain Crunch does not make a nutritional breakfast. Adding stock crowd FX on top of 5 people in a small room on a mono camera mic wouldn't make a nutritional soundtrack. It would probably sound horrible =/

And, I just checked out a clip from Sienfeld and the crowd laughs practically every 5 seconds. Would you want to spend that much time on that?

Do not use a laugh track!!!! If it's filmed in front of a live studio audience, that's one thing. And it's your choice(I personally still don't like being told when to laugh).

If it's not being shot in front of a studio audience, people will know it's a fake laugh track. It'll cheapen it a lot, IMO.

Let the comedy stand on it's own. If it's funny, people will laugh, if not... well then... time to re-write.

And let us know when it's finished, I love a good comedy (but it better be funny! ;)).

well im hoping that i'll put it out by the begining of next year. and it better be funny cause if it aint then im screwed. im still trying to get finances together so i can move with other things to get the ball rolling.

@everyone- im getting mixed messages from all of yall. the question is, is it really hard to put a laugh track in? im a newbie to all of this and this just came about because hollywood wants a brother to jump through needle eyes just to get shot down and this economy has made me look at being your own boss. any other suggestions you have write em cause im game.

Something else to keep in mind - is the laugh track appropriate for your target audience?

Take, for example, the classic M.A.S.H. tv series. In American audiences, the laugh-track was slapped onto almost every episode. I did not grow up in the US; our version of M.A.S.H. had no laugh-track at all.

It was important for the Americans to have it, just as it would be deemed silly for us to have it. (I'm not going to elaborate on cultural & corporate disparities)

the question is, is it really hard to put a laugh track in?

No, it is not hard to add one.

It is hard to add one appropriately, and especially in context.

You should, however, look up M&E audio tips - 'cos that way you'll have it when you need it, and can drop it when you (or potential "other" markets) don't want it.

:cool:

I can certainly respect your view Wheat (yes it's me-hi there! lol)

I guess I've always felt that if you need to have canned laughter to tell the audience when to laugh, then you're not doing something right(and yes I know shows from time immoral have done it)

My personal taste is I hate people "telling me" when to laugh-any shows like that I hit mute and read the captions (and even then I see "laughter".

I do think that "live" laughter is the lesser of the two evils-particularly if you hear small chuckles as everyone isn't laughing at the same time from time to time (that make sense? ;))

I've just never liked it from a viewing standpoint

cant argue that it works though.. tv sitcoms don't just do it cause its fun.. it makes somebody some money somehow..

Part of thinking about this requires an understanding of the physiological nature of laughter. Laughter is not funny.. laughter is a nonverbal form of communication used to reinforce community norms. That is why laughter is infections. You certainly cant doubt that laughter is contagious if you've ever spent anytime watching a pack of teenage girls!

Laughter speaks to our hind brain, very little cognition is involved.

Humor on the other hand is almost all cognitive. Consider that something can be incredibly funny, and yet when you READ it quietly you don't burst out laughing, sometimes you do, but thats not typical, more likely a sub vocal chuckle might come out. Now, read that same passage out loud to your friends, and you'll have a hard time just getting through it .. or watch that humors bit in the company of other humans, and you are much more likely to have a outburst. Its the SHARING of a feeling that drives laughter, not the thought of something funny.

So, hate em as much as you want, laugh tracks work in American TV culture.. and American Culture is ALL ABOUT TV ....

Back