• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

treatment Tips for writing a winning Treatment?

I just got informed that my friend was able to get a production studio interested in a possible feature length adaptation of a short film we made this year. I've never attempted to write a treatment before, only plot outlines.

Is a treatment basically an extended outline? What are some good tips to make a treatment stand out? I have all the back story knowledge I need to do at least 4 or 5 pages worth of stuff, but I'm curious about just how much detail I should put in this.

The BLUF:
Anybody have any tips/tricks/references for writing a winning treatment?

Last edited:
First of all? I hate treatments and will do ANYTHING to get out of writing one. LOL. That said? A treatment is like a short story of your STORY. You don't have to get super detailed but we should clearly be able to see Acts 1, 2, and 3. I've seen treatments run anywhere from several pages all the way up to fifty or sixty. I would highly recommend keeping it short and sweet but it still needs to hit hard.

A side note... I've had executives tell me to send over a treatment and instead? I just sent them the first 15 or 20 pages of the script. Why? Because I knew they would want to read the rest.

First of all? I hate treatments and will do ANYTHING to get out of writing one. LOL. That said? A treatment is like a short story of your STORY. You don't have to get super detailed but we should clearly be able to see Acts 1, 2, and 3. I've seen treatments run anywhere from several pages all the way up to fifty or sixty. I would highly recommend keeping it short and sweet but it still needs to hit hard.

A side note... I've had executives tell me to send over a treatment and instead? I just sent them the first 15 or 20 pages of the script. Why? Because I knew they would want to read the rest.
Thank you for the tips!

Back