Time for replacements...

Hi folks

On tour this past weekend, we had our car broken into. I had my camera, lenses, sound gear, light gear, all our costumes and, weirdly, a XXXL Bowler hat stolen.

SO what that means is now I'll be getting some insurance money and some replacement gear.
Just went from an EOS 550D, Rode videomic, some other mic that I forget, and a Tascam RD-40.. They were basically key.

Basically, I will get around $AU2500. What would the recommendations out there be to replace basically what I have above? The lighting I can do without for a while, but cam and mics I really can't.

Quick overview of what we film; most of it is handheld or run and gun, as almost everything we do is quick action and crazy. We also film a lot of fire, primarily in the form of firebreathing.
Other times, camera is put on a tripod, pointed towards our colosseum and left recording for our entire show.

Cheers!

None whatsoever.
My only thoughts are prices have dropped on things since I bought that kit, so for similar pricing I might be able to get heaps better. Basically since I bought my gear, I haven't been researching what's what anymore, just focusing on my own projects.
The camera I may upgrade regardless (Sometimes the fire just doesn't look quite right), mic I think I definitely will; Videomic didn't work with the RD-40.

The videomic is pretty worthless. It helps get a little better reference audio, bit that's about it. A better mic is a good idea for sure.

Don't forget to budget to replace the bowler!

Lef: You are correct. My sex daily was playing up. ARGH, my dyslexia was playing up

Paul: I got the videomic cheap, and it was a huge improvement over what we had used. We are basically $0 budget with what we do so couldn't go as far as I wanted to early on.

And the bowler hat is the most confusing thing! The costumes were in basically a giant camera bag, and everything was packed into bags, so the thief just saw a jackpot. But the hat... I have an enormous head, so I had to get the biggest one they had, and even then stretch it out for months. It'd be so rare for ANYONE to be able to fit into it, and it's harder to replace than any of the camera gear haha

Back