• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Till death do us part

Hey guys,

Just finished this as part of my university course, a lot of stuff that can be improved upon, colour grading is off in some parts as we ran out of time before the deadline to perfect and tweak it all.

Also, the titles very cheesy, but titles were never my strong point! :')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-tA3vjU-Vk&hd=1

Shot on Canon 5D Mark ii and Canon 550D

Lenses used:
  • Canon 24-70mm 2.8
  • Contax Yashica 50mm 1.4
  • Contax Vario Sonnar 80-200mm 4
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm
  • Sigma 24mm 2.8 Macro

For tracking shots we used Flycam Nano (Though i've not balanced it perfectly yet! Im agonisingly close though!)

Edited in FCP and colour graded in After Effects.

Enjoy!

Good vibes. I feel like I half knew and half had no idea what was going on (ok, so they are getting married. then they are in the countryside, is that where they met? is it some sort of dream state or astral plane? by the end I decided I think it was more like the latter.).

I absolutely loved the ethereal feeling it had. It sucked me in and it was beautiful to see and hear, but then again I'm a sucker for boychoirs and the English countryside soooo...

The church was perfect. Love all the dusty props. And way to find a church with a blue and orange altar!

Lighting was great, how much of that was natural? If the church scene was natural light then I can't imagine you filmed for long. Those hazy rays around around for much time each day. That lens flare real nice, and thank you for not overusing them.

I think that's all I've got to say. Can you tell I liked it? :P Nice work, as usual.

hey so when are you coming to chicago? we should collaborate. i'm pretty sure i've got a UK-US power adapter around here somewhere...
searching.gif

That was lyrical and well done, Paper. Sometimes it's just nice to look at pretty images as abstractions. Looks like you made the deadline in style. ;)

Good vibes. I feel like I half knew and half had no idea what was going on (ok, so they are getting married. then they are in the countryside, is that where they met?

I'm pretty sure this is about the pure horror of heroin, actually. This ain't a happy tale. ;)

Then again, it is in the experimental section...

Great short, PaperTwin. I think the lighting choices could have been more defined, but the flick is solid all through.

What was your role on the project?

I agree with Steve...as soon as the belt came out. Very well done and it offered the definite signature of only being able to follow one master when the master wasn't following her.

This was Written/Directed/Shot, by Antony and a peer at University.

I, personally, had nothing to do with this beautiful darn thing, be it a University Project.

P.S I'm going to let Antony reply to the responses, as i can't give much insight. Although, i totally had one of those "Holy Cow, somebody has hacked our IT account" moments, when i saw that I'd posted a thread...but hadn't posted a thread.

- Daniel

Last edited:
This was Written/Directed/Shot, by Antony.

I, personally, had nothing to do with this beautiful darn thing, be it a University Project.

P.S I'm going to let Antony reply to the responses, as i can't give much incite. Although, i totally had one of those "Holy Cow, somebody has hacked our IT account" moments, when i saw that I'd posted a thread...but hadn't posted a thread.

:lol:

That's what I thought. I was like, but isn't his name Daniel? I was also wondering where your wry sense of humor was.

Regardless, your hacker is a good person to stay associated with. Good stuff.

I like this, Paper. Pastoral scenes with choir really reminds me of the bucolic, yet anguished, shots of 28 Days Later. Love the antiquated church shots and the long shot of the girl on hill with the cars below. Love the symbolism of her ribbons and bleeding out. Really poetic but doesn't fall into preciousness. You guys are quite the crew, and I'm doubly surprised to learn you guys are University students...*you're* so articulate and knowledgeable in the field, already. Excellent work!

You guys are quite the crew, and I'm doubly surprised to learn you guys are University students...*you're* so articulate and knowledgeable in the field, already. Excellent work!

:blush:

Thanks alot, Bird.

I'll make sure Antony comes online to answer all of your points.

Narrative work begins very soon. Super stoked.

Good vibes. I feel like I half knew and half had no idea what was going on (ok, so they are getting married. then they are in the countryside, is that where they met? is it some sort of dream state or astral plane? by the end I decided I think it was more like the latter.).

I absolutely loved the ethereal feeling it had. It sucked me in and it was beautiful to see and hear, but then again I'm a sucker for boychoirs and the English countryside soooo...

The church was perfect. Love all the dusty props. And way to find a church with a blue and orange altar!

Lighting was great, how much of that was natural? If the church scene was natural light then I can't imagine you filmed for long. Those hazy rays around around for much time each day. That lens flare real nice, and thank you for not overusing them.

I think that's all I've got to say. Can you tell I liked it? :P Nice work, as usual.

Thanks man, we were going for the sort of dream state/astral plane you mentioned. The piece is based around dependancy; reliance on people, ideals and substances. With this being represented through the husband being dependant on the wife (People/ideals), chasing her through the entire piece but he can also be seen as a metaphor for the drug, the thought of the drug lingering on her mind all the time with her always coming full circle and returning to the drug.

Lighting was all natural light, the university won't let us take lights out till second year! (Which seems a bit stupid to be honest, since lighting is incredibly important in achieving correctly lit shots).
I think on the church shoot we shot from about 10am-1pm, with some pick-ups the next day (details like the record player and establishing shot). Thanks, always gotta be careful with lens flare - one of my tutors produced a film and they put in fake lens flare on many shots including one indoors in a hallway! (terrible!)

That was lyrical and well done, Paper. Sometimes it's just nice to look at pretty images as abstractions. Looks like you made the deadline in style. ;)

Very cool. Looks beautiful.

Thanks guys!

I'm pretty sure this is about the pure horror of heroin, actually. This ain't a happy tale. ;)

Then again, it is in the experimental section...

Great short, PaperTwin. I think the lighting choices could have been more defined, but the flick is solid all through.

What was your role on the project?

Definitely agree with lighting, as I've said in the answer to the post above unfortunately we had no access to lighting, only a reflector which we actually forgot to use! :blush:

I was the cinematographer, colour editor and also wrote the piece, though our group all helped with writing. Gemma, one of my course mates also did some colour editing after I taught her how to do it in AE.

I like this, Paper. Pastoral scenes with choir really reminds me of the bucolic, yet anguished, shots of 28 Days Later. Love the antiquated church shots and the long shot of the girl on hill with the cars below. Love the symbolism of her ribbons and bleeding out. Really poetic but doesn't fall into preciousness. You guys are quite the crew, and I'm doubly surprised to learn you guys are University students...*you're* so articulate and knowledgeable in the field, already. Excellent work!

Thanks Bird! Really appreciate the kind words. :)

Lastly, did anyone find the sky replacement on the establishing church shot noticeable?

Cheers guys, Antony "The Hacker".

Last edited:
I really enjoyed that. I often cringe/struggle to watch drug related things in film, particularly things like heroin or others that use injections, but I really like the way you all tackled it and presented it. It definitely is a beautiful piece of work :)

I really enjoyed that. I often cringe/struggle to watch drug related things in film, particularly things like heroin or others that use injections, but I really like the way you all tackled it and presented it. It definitely is a beautiful piece of work :)

Thank you very much, Sprinks. Welcome to the boards!

Back